Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Adding Posted Speed Limit to Client Display

Post by
You can always post your ideas and suggestions on the following link : waze.uservoice.com

POSTER_ID:1084248

Send a message

Post by bz2012
I keep my original Nextar GPS running BECAUSE it 'beeps 3 times' when I exceed the speed limit that it computes based upon the type of roadway and the very out-of-date database (It keeps reminding me to update, but no updates have ever been available. Nextar also failed to make good on their promise to make an upgraded unit available. In fact, I repaired my Nextar when it died by buying one with a bad screen on ebay and swapping the electronics. I later bought a Garmin in the hopes of getting a similar 'exceeding the speed limit' warning. No joy. The Garmin sits gathering dust. I use WAZE. )

Once the Nextar gives the alert, the speed display changes from black on white to black on RED until the GPS speed drops below the limit. It alerts, again, the next time the speed limit is exceeded.

It would be very nice if WAZE provided a similar alert when the computed / updated by drivers / verified by editors speed limit was exceeded.

If it meant a major 'restructuring' of the database, editor and client interface, the idea could probably be 'worked in' the next time a major restructuring was required for some other reason.

I would suggest that an algorithm could be written that would set the 'default' speed limit for all current segments based on a weighted average of the know state wide speed limits based on road types, and the 'average segment speed observed' or some similar data that WAZE maintains already

Since many states have different car/truck limits and some may have different day/night limits, it may be a good idea to plan to incorporate those features also.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Btw that consensus is Harling's opinion of the consensus, others me for one) have thought that it was a good idea, not really all that much more work, and a very viable option that user editing could make more accurate than such features already found in other nav apps and devices.

But it has been well discussed, maybe Waze'll do it some day, maybe not.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
xteejx wrote:Surely if you were concentrating as you say, you'd know the speed limit??
Because surely traffic (other drivers/street layout/etc) never distracts us from the signs at the side of the road? Let alone whatever distractions we may have going on inside our vehicles (to which your point is valid.)
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by floppyrod84
Surely if you were concentrating as you say, you'd know the speed limit??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by harling
The suggestion of incorporating posted speed limits in Waze has been discussed ad nauseum again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

The consensus:

1) Adding, and then maintaining, posted speed limits for every segment on the map would be a massive amount of work, diverting precious resources from more important tasks to one with little practical benefit, because:
2) Unlike some nav products, Waze bases its routing purely on real-world data, not on signs, which
3) You can see out your window anyway if your attention is mainly on the road, where it should be.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
It sounds simple until the time comes to figure out how to actually implement it within the current map database structure (which is based on individual segments), and start considering some exception-handling.

How long does that "35" last? Does it automatically get applied to every segment that the Wazer drives until he changes it to something else? What if he forgets and leaves it off in a school zone, and there aren't a lot of Wazers in the area to set the record straight? Some speed limits change according to the time of day, day of week, class of vehicle. I'm sure there are many more.

This requires time & effort to design, implement, test, deploy, and maintain on an ongoing basis--time & effort that would otherwise have gone toward finding better routes; handling tunnels or U-Turns; automatically identifying & solving problems with the map; rolling out map changes more often; making WME more user-friendly; leaving editor notes on the map; allowing editors to communicate with Wazers who report problems...

There are so many more important things to work on, than gathering a continent's worth of speed limit data that Waze doesn't need, just to be able to put it on the client display, when it is already posted on the street.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by krycor
I think on a user level(for the user, not location or road based) a simple audio alert me if i go over 'x km/h' would make me happy.

Why??

Mitigates speed fines based on %. Here in sunny South Africa, our fines are based on % over the limit from about 20% through to 50+%. Now at low levels this can be as simple as going 120km/h in a 60km/h zone and get your licence revoked.. but those are small residential roads. For highways though and other longer travel, setting an alert at e.g. 125km/h ensures you don't get get a fine as the error tolerance is usually 10%.

So i'd drive on a highway at 120-130km/h pending overtaking without the worry of looking down at speedometer and allowing me to concentrate on road in front of me.
krycor
Send a message

Post by lady_morana
I know TRAPSTER has the speed limit posted with the GPS speed.

As for being able to simply look out the window and read the signs. You obviously dont live in KY where stealing road signs is a common Saturday night entertainment.

I drive dixie hwy to Lousiville nightly and have to 4 years. It wasn't until trapster flashed that I was exceeding the speed limit that I started checking. Couldnt find a road sign until a mile later...it said 65. After this happening time and time again, I called the state police. The speed limit is only 55..for 1/5 mile. Where the road changes from highway to interstate, the speed limit stays 55 for the first 1/5 mile! and since I get on the interstate right as the road changes to interstate...the first speed limit sign I see IS showing 65 MPH. But that also means I have been speeding for 1/5 mile.

I dont know how trapster gets their speed limits. I know that when a road (5 miles of it) changed from 55 to 65 that it took 6 months to update the speed. But the other 200+ miles I drive for work was perfect.
lady_morana
Send a message

Post by orbitc
Please search the forum before posting requests like these.

As harling pointed out, this request discussed many times before for that reason.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
if I may put my two cents in...
Look at the gas prices option we have. Not all of them accurate and most of the case some are missing. Of course, they are not crucial as the traffic but it would be a nice tool if worked.
So, relying on user to set and/or update speed limits not a good idea at this point. There has to be a better option or more reliable source to get them in to Waze to show in clients.
Just MHO
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!