Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Prefix Abbreviations

Post by adetia
After searching the wiki and these forums, it appears different folks are handling this in different ways, so I wanted to find out what the best practice was for Canada.

There is a large pocket of street names that have either St. (for Saint) as a prefix, or Mt. (for Mount) on the actual street sign - these are in waze in a multitude of ways. Some are currently spelled out such as Saint James Street, or their friends: St. James Street, St James St, St James Street.

Its my interpretation that these, and most likely also the similar Mt. roads should be:

St. James St N
St. James St S
St. James St
etc.

Is that correct?

Is St. an acceptable tts substitute for Saint? I've seen some discussion on this on other threads.
Is Mt. an acceptable replacement for Mount? In the cases I'm speaking of, the street signs also carry abbreviated forms.
adetia

POSTER_ID:11697980

Send a message

Post by adetia
It appears that the following is then correct:

St James St

and Mount needs to be fully spelled out, regardless of street sign, because of the TTS interpreting Mt as mountain.
adetia
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
adetia wrote:It appears that the following is then correct:

St James St

and Mount needs to be fully spelled out, regardless of street sign, because of the TTS interpreting Mt as mountain.
The reading I've done has "St." as appropriate. That said, in Montreal, they spell out "Saint" and "Sainte" because of the problems with TTS.

To make your life easier, this is the abbreviation list for Canada:
http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manua ... sp#1423617

You'll note: Mount is "Mount" and Mountain is "Mtn"

Even if the TTS accepts different abbreviations, the Waze style guide for Canada is to have addresses conform to CanadaPost addressing guidelines.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by erablian
I can vouch for "St Albert Trail" being pronounced correctly without a period.

We will really have problem when Buffy St. Marie is canonized and has a street named after her: "St. Buffy St. Marie St." :)
erablian
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///b4c5Sh[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]

Post by james8970
This document should provide all your answers.
james8970
Send a message
Canada Country Manager

Post by james8970
Hmm, row 549 seems to contradict row 603...
I've always done St. = saint and st= street.
Going to contact the user who entered row 549, it may be an error or TTS may simply know that saint never follows the name and street never precedes the name of the street. Although there may be exceptions to this that I've never seen.

Another possibility is that St is pronounced saint if its the first word, but st. should be used if saint is anything other than the first word. If the system isn't setup such that st. = saint and st = street exclusively, this is a little more confusing than it needs to be.... St shouldn't be able to be an abbreviation for two different words.
James
james8970
Send a message
Canada Country Manager

Post by james8970
I pmed the waze champ I who said it was saint = "st". He said it varies by region on how it will be pronounced but saint should be abbreviated to "st." as this will be the new standard in the near future.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
james8970
Send a message
Last edited by james8970 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canada Country Manager

Post by ncc1701v
adetia wrote:It appears that the following is then correct:

St James St
Around here I couldn't get it to pronounce Saint Nicholas Avenue correctly until I made it "St. Nicholas Ave" - it was saying Street Nicholas. But see what you get.
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by Timbones
TTS often has trouble distinguishing between St and St. and often gets it wrong. Recommend you stick to "St." for Saint, and complain to Waze if it comes out as Street.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries