New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderator: Unholy

Re: New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Postby The Fej » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:53 pm

OK - I'll try to cover most points raised.
We have had crashes in previous waze version - but we did manage to collect crash dumps and correct the problems - here it is an elusive problem that is eluding us. Of course, at the end of the day we should do something in the application to prevent it but if there is some race condition in the OS level that is triggered by background running (and our other activities when in the background, like calculating route, collecting GPS points, transmitting data, etc...), it might not be entirely in our hands.
Only auto shutdown we implement today is for low battery (I.e. if battery is less than 20% and <Continue> is not selected, app closes down). The OS has its own mechanisms - for example in case there are several apps open and there is shortage of memory, the OS can shutdown the application (see below how it appears on our side from the Android market reporting tool).
[ img ]
As I indicated, we are working directly with Google to see what we can do here, as obviously if 2.2 is installed on all devices, things are going to get uglier without a solution :-(
Regardless, I do hope we have a beta version next week, but it is too still necessitates to be stabilized first.
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management

Postby rcocchiararo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:45 am

thinking back a little... it may be a froyo thing, but in the END, waze should be coded in a way that DOES NOT overload it, and once that is acomplished, no reboots will happen...

once more, waze is the only app i know of capable of wrecking shuck havok
rcocchiararo

Postby unwallflower » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:26 pm

The Fej wrote:Seems that when the Froyo is overloaded, it starts to crash. My gut feeling is that this is the reason that Froyo has not been officially released to any platform other than the Nexus and that there are issues which are being dealt with regardless of waze.

I just wanted to gently correct you: there are currently several phones that have officially received 2.2. The Nexus One was the first, yes, but since then the HTC Evo received it and the Droid 2 was shipped with it. In less than a week the Samsung Epic will be shipping with it as well. There may be more that I'm not aware of as well.

Thanks for the update! It's good to hear that you guys have been trying to fix it. I will add that (to me) 2.2 does seem much less stable in general than 2.1 did, so your statements make sense.

Sigh. I hope that there's some way to fix it, eventually.
unwallflower

Postby rcocchiararo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:05 pm

I forgot to mention that the droid 2 has 2.2 officially, as the only available android version too.

Droid X will have the 2.2 update soon, and so will the galaxy S line.

IT IS A FROYO THING !!

thats for sure, on 2.1 waze crashed, yes, it froze the phone, yes, and sometimes i had to do a battery pull... YES

but on 2.2 (stock, cyanogen, sense, whatever), my phone REBOOTS every few minutes if waze is in the foreground... before it would crash, more often if i multitasked.

now, it can't be used.

so it IS worse on froyo :(

ps: still, waze is the only app killing my phone like this, i tired other GPS apps, including google navigation, google maps, the google maps "mod" "brut", and whatnot

only wase kills my phone like this.
rcocchiararo

Postby DAmaNIac » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 am

Hi,

first of all thanks for the reply. However I was wondering if the thread is being followed closely. If so, one would have learned that Waze also crashes on Android 1.6 and 2.1, so I don't understand the blame on Froyo. As for root and/or customs roms, I've tried nearly everything, and it still doesn't matter.
But as long as such features like "automatic movement recognition" or so are being pushed into the software, just so a few people won't have to push the exit button, I think with my experience in software development, that there might be some wrong priorities.

I enjoy using and testing nightly builds of Firefox and Chrome and I try to test new beta versions of other programs when they come along. It has been asked before, but why do you not release nightly builds?
Waze is aimed at commuting and so a lot of people will use it for non-critical traveling at least twice a day. So you can enable a debug mode for those testers and request the logfiles to see the improvement for each change on very different platforms, different countries etc.

Just my 2 cents.

damaniac
DAmaNIac

Postby grebble » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks for the reply Fej.

I echo most of the other replies on here: I agree that it is probably something to do with the OS getting overloaded, but it isn't specific to Froyo. I had stability issues with Waze on Android 2.1 as well, and it's no worse with Froyo. If anything, Froyo is better at handling it, as I haven't had to pull the battery off since I've upgraded.

As rcocchiararo said, Froyo has been officially released for the Motorola Droid and the HTC Desire, and others are following suit, so it's certainly not just the Nexus One that has it now. I can understand it if custom ROMS cause crashing, but mine is stock.

I hope you find a resolution soon. In the meantime I think I'm going to have to use Waze on my work Blackberry until the situation with Android improves.
grebble

Postby Hellek » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:12 am

Yeah the only thing I can say in defense of Waze is that the fault actually lies within Android. If an app can make the phone crash (it reboots because it notes a crash in a vital part of the operating system, basically the same thing as the famous bluescreen in windows) it is not the app's fault, it is the fault of the OS. It is supposed not to permit any app doing anything that makes the phone crash (if you rooted, superuser apps are a different thing, but Waze got nothing to do with that anyway).

Unfortunately fixing something in the Android OS takes at least a few months and you can never know whether all manufacturers give the update to all their phones. So the only thing that can be done is that the waze team investigates and fixes what causes the bug in the phone. Even if it is not their fault. I hope they manage to do that soon.
Hellek

Postby rcocchiararo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:13 am

isn't 2.2/froyo now official for the motorola Droid and the HTC desire too ?

i do agree thats a thing with 2.2... but waze is the only app rebooting my phone :/

Also, on 2.1, it was already unstable, it would crash a lot, and from time to time, freeze my moto milestone.

too bad there is no way arround this for now :(
rcocchiararo

Postby tskramp » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:16 am

well why you're trying to figure out the issues have you not added other features to it? If the issue isn't so much waze as it is froyo could you not release a new version, or at least a beta for us to test, or does the new version add in additional crashes?
tskramp

Postby The Fej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Indeed - message received. I think I mentioned in some threads, but in case things require our response, please just add to the title something like "Request SUPPORT Response" so that we will be able to identify items which require our attention.

And to the issue at hand: we are very much aware of the Nexus/Froyo related issues. We've got crash dumps and logs and have been trying to figure this out for weeks, finally getting Google in the loop as well.

Seems that when the Froyo is overloaded, it starts to crash. My gut feeling is that this is the reason that Froyo has not been officially released to any platform other than the Nexus and that there are issues which are being dealt with regardless of waze.

We have seen similar crashes on unofficial roms of 2.2 installed on other devices (Samsung Galaxy as an example) and hence I hope (though I have no information about this) that the Android masters will issue some 2.2.x version to fix the issues.

We are and have been spending a lot of time investigating this and we are just as frustrated as you are about this (we get many emails regarding the issue) but so far did not manage to circumvent this issue. We see Android as a major platform and our focus is to get a release out, but these issues must be corrected. If by some chance we will get information to enable a correction, we won't hesitate to issue a patch release as well.

So I hope this clarifies the issue.
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements