These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by CmbtEngr
davipt wrote:
mjt543 wrote:Life might be a journey, but easily documenting arrival at your destination has always been nice. Since Waze seems to want to brand its app as much as a social tool as a navigation one (i.e., social integration, Map Chat, navigation share), seems keeping the destination-specific social features more prominently featured over those like Map Chat (that I should probably avoid using while I'm navigating anyway) would be part of that branding strategy.
I think Waze themselves couldn't explain their decision better than you just said here.

Waze has both a navigation and a social part, and it's important for safety reasons that they are relatively separated in the sense of having stuff to be used while driving separated from stuff to be used before and after the driving. The left and the right menu. Hence why *personally* (*1) I don't mind loosing the foursquare icon from the report menu because that menu is meant to be used while driving. When stopped in traffic I may want to (publicly) chat and ask the guy in front of me about the accident, but I surely don't want to checkin somewhere in the middle of the road (*2).

And then all features related to sharing stuff, routes, origins and destinations, are all together on the same place, being it foursquare, Facebook or any other user via email and sms.

So then you mention that it should be easy to easily document the arrival at the destination, which in this version is still two clicks away, with the advantage that sharing with other networks now became also two clicks away and all consistent.

*1 this is my personal opinion as a heavy user of both waze and foursquare, and "collaborator" on both. My opinions are my own and have nothing to do with waze or being a champ, which by the way I am only for some days. I'm a wazer driver just like you all.

*2 if you do want to safely checkin in the middle of the road, I can point you to my own foursquare app, but unfortunately it's iOS only as I never got the time to finish the Android version ;)
In order to be 'just two clicks away" I have to navigate to my local grocery store (for my lunch) and gas station (for coffee) every morning. I don't need Waze to tell me to drive less than half a mile and make two right turns to get to those places. I liked the ability to cherck in on foursquare before removing my phone from the dock. Hell, at the gas station, I'd just check in and leave my phone in the dock.
CmbtEngr
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Old issues still present: crash on scoreboard, crash on ad popup when stopped.

New issue: Waze now only works once from the home screen shortcut. After upgrading, I was able to start Waze two or three times this way, but then it asked me to rate the app - so I did, and since then when I click on the Waze app button it goes to Play store. I can now only open Waze from the Play store. I tried deleting and redoing the home screen shortcut, uninstalling and reinstalling Waze and going to the app drawer's icon. No dice. First time it works, then after that it only goes to Play store. Very, very weird.

Edit: Update on the screwy shortcut. I was able to load Waze via an NFC tag (I have it programmed to set up the phone for Waze when I get in my car) and after that, the shortcut works again. However when exiting Waze, Play Store loads, so it's still not 'quite right'.

Logs from my device have been sent, between 2:30-3:00pm central today. This is about as close to a show-stopper as I've ever seen with Waze. Updates are supposed to improve things, not make them worse. :(
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by CrackedLCD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by CrackedLCD
mjt543 wrote:I'm going to add the +1Million for adding back the dedicated Foursquare checkin button. If Waze is supposed to create as hands-free of a navigation app as possible, why make me punch three or four times to get to that feature, and even then, it's so far from the Foursquare-style checkin option we saw in previous Waze versions.
I'll see you a +1Million and raise you +another250,000 on that. The road closure button should be under Hazard or something with all the other road alerts and the Foursquare button should be on the main menu!

In the interim, I can recommend the app Simple Check-In. All it does is check you in, much like the Waze integration. No pictures, no comments. Just the venue name, category, address and a small Google map to show you where you are. It's so much more convenient than the bloated 4sq official app and a lot easier to call up than digging through the social menus on this version of Waze.

Between the moved 4sq button and the crash on stop Waze has lost about 85% of its usefulness for me. It's a real bummer, too, since these issues more or less coincided with me getting my CM status. :(
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
davipt wrote:
mjt543 wrote:I'm going to add the +1Million for adding back the dedicated Foursquare checkin button. If Waze is supposed to create as hands-free of a navigation app as possible, why make me punch three or four times to get to that feature, and even then, it's so far from the Foursquare-style checkin option we saw in previous Waze versions.
Waze is a navigation app, not a foursquare app. The foursquare checkin is still there, but exactly where it's meant to be - available only when you reach your destination, or available when you want to *share* your destination.
And when you have 14 destinations a day like I do, the time spent digging in the menu for the checkin feature adds a buttload of time, same as loading a whole other app to do what used to be easy and convenient.

I don't navigate, either. I am strictly here to edit and contribute traffic data. I already know where I'm going. Usually. ;)
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
khaytsus wrote:Will do. Every time it crashes. Every single time from here out.
Sorry it's crashing, but glad to see a few more people are having this issue besides me. It's been doing it every since I got my new phone w/ Jelly Bean.

It's definitely the ads. When the ads go away, so does the crashing.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
khaytsus wrote: I suspect if you saw no crashes it didn't try to load any ads. That is why it crashes at "every stoplight".
Right. I suspect there's a radius setting at work and if you're way out from the nearest advertiser's pushpin location, you won't see ads. I can go out in the boonies and the issue goes away.

Right now the only way to avoid the crashes, in my experience, are to either a) keep doing something in Waze (like gas prices or paging through the menus) to keep it occupied, or b) turn off the screen when you come to a stop.

There's also a third way but it involves editing the preferences file and I'm hesitant to share it in the forums because I don't want Waze removing the workaround just to force everyone to see ads (and cause our crashes).
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
steveandlanada wrote:After updating Waze it no longer runs in the background on my phone, but automatically shuts off after no activity and I have to always remember to put it on when I go out. Is anyone else experiencing this issue.

Droid Razzr Maxx4.0.4
It does this to me, too, but only randomly. Sometimes it quits itself, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's a 'feature' to detect inactivity.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Kuhlkatz wrote:
Mike-1323 wrote: I've toggled this in several of the beta and app store versions and have never seen the coordinates displayed. I keep trying it in the hope that it will actually do something.
When you have a GPS lock, the coordinates should be shown in the top status line as in the screenshot.
The GPS.Show GPS is likely more useful for a visual cue as to where Waze is tracking you vs your coordinates, also visible as the small triangle near the car icon in the screenshot.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
The triangle can be turned on separately by this line in preferences:

GPS.Show GPS: yes
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Mike-1323 wrote:D'oh!! I was getting 'GPS.Show GPS' confused with 'GPS.Show coordinates'. :oops: That preferences file needs some organizing. :D

Show coordinates works for me, Show GPS doesn't do anything. I can get the coordinates to appear on the top of the screen. It's the small arrow that doesn't show up. It would be very useful to have an indicator of where the actual coordinates are instead of the 'locked on road' position where waze places the car icon.
That's strange. I turned on Show GPS and it works fine for me. I get a little hard to see yellow arrow. It didn't really dawn on me how useful it was until one day I was in a bank drive-thru but my car was still appearing to be in the alleyway behind the building. Then I saw where the arrow was showing the precise location and Waze had just snapped me to the road.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
stef2001 wrote:Hi... this is my first post... so sorry if i am on the wrong thread :(

My waze doesn't start ?
When i click on the icon, if got the following :

-Start Screen
-Icon appears in the notification
-I suddenly return to home screen, and icon disapear :cry: :cry: :cry:

My conf is in my signature.
What can i do for help ? Where are the log files ?
Are you running a third party launcher by chance? I had this issue also briefly after upgrading. If your preferences file is intact (see pvaladares' post for more info) try to start Waze by opening it from the Play Store. For a while, that was the only way I could open my copy. The shortcuts would not work in Go Launcher. Then suddenly after opening it in the Play Store several times, the shortcuts became operative again. Never figured that one out.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message