New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderator: Unholy

Re: New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Postby zottel » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am

My experiences on a Nexus One, daily use in weekdays:

• I didn't have problems with 1.8.99.106 ot the other betas before, but I also didn't have Froyo at that time. (Was on Enomther's Eclair ROM at that point that caused reboots (even reboot loops) by itself, but that was completely unrelated to waze, and I don't remember a reboot loop starting when waze was running.)
  • I'm not 100% sure when the rebooting actually started, but I think it was after I updated to stock Froyo.
  • I had quite frequent reboots for some time. They were unrelated to whether the display was on or off or whether I tried to interact with waze or not. (At first I even thought it happened only when the display was off because my first few reboots were in that state.)
  • The reboots seemed to happen only shortly after waze startup at first, but later I found that they also could took place at any other time during the drive.
  • Then the rebooting suddenly stopped maybe three or four weeks ago. I've been driving around daily since then with waze on and without a single reboot—except one day one and a half weeks ago when I had two or three reboots during waze use on one single day.
  • I didn't ever experience any freezes or other, non-rebooting issues; I never had to remove the battery. There are hangs sometimes where waze doesn't update the display and can't be interacted with for ten or twenty seconds, but it always gets back to normal after that. (Though I think when a reboot occurs, it starts with a similar state, for at the few times when I directly saw it happen, there was a frozen display, too.)

The fact that I had so few reboots lately and the only ones on a rather hot day led to me speculating that it could be a temperature issue. But since then there was a much hotter day that showed no issues at all. While temperature issues would of course show unpredictable behaviour, I don't think it's very probable to get several reboots on a rather hot day and later none on a very hot day.

On the reboot day, OTOH, I drove routes that were unkown yet, which has become rather seldom for me. Most routes I drive are different ways to work which have all been well-known to ways for a while now.

But then again, this day was not the only time when I drove unknown roads. Could be the one with the most on one day, though.

Very difficult to nail down, it seems. I hope the waze team will be able to find a solution, but this definitely looks like a horribly difficult-to-fix problem.
zottel

Postby grebble » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:51 am

It's about a month for the full version, but the beta should be ready before then. I guess the reason for the delay on the beta is because they're still trying to figure out what is causing the crashing.

I seem to find that Waze is more stable when the battery is fully charged. Don't know why that should make a difference, but the crashes and reboots seem to happen far more often when the battery is low, regardless of whether or not the charger is connected.
Area manager: East Northants, West Cambs and Peterborough, UK
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0.4), Waze v3.0.2.8
grebble

Postby damaniac » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Concerning your suggestions that it may have something to do with the battery level I can say for sure that it does have nothing to do with crashes on my phone. It crashes with full, half level and nearly empty battery. It crashes when very hot, when cooled down, when charged, when not charged, when you touch it and scroll through the map, when you don't touch it and it simply displays the map, when it loads new street tiles, when it displays already loaded screen tiles, when running with multiple programs on the phone, when being the only program installed on a fresh updated phone, with auto background light on, with auto light off, while navigation, without navigation... did I forget any possible state this software can be in?

I wonder if they do invest half the time and effort into the Android version compared to the iPhone version. Where is the feedback from the developers?
Honestly speaking, each time I read about the incredible new features on Facebook for the new iPhone version and how they pamper that community I get a little angry and disappointed.
Area Manager Hamburg/Germany
Samsung Galaxy S2
damaniac

Postby unwallflower » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:08 pm

damaniac wrote:Where is the feedback from the developers?

For me personally, THIS is the biggest frustration.

I seem to remember that not too long ago the waze team said they were going to try to communicate with their user base better. It worked quite well actually for a bit, but now we're back to the old guessing game.

I'm frustrated that waze reboots my phone every time I use it. I'm really frustrated that I'm losing a LOT of points and map-editing permissions due to this (on top of some other routes that they mysteriously "lost" earlier this summer and never got back to me on). But really, I'm mostly just frustrated that they can't seem to communicate.

They need a strong user base in order for waze to grow and succeed, and leaving us in the dark with our non-functional versions is not the way to build that user base.
unwallflower

Postby rcocchiararo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:10 pm

for my nexus running froyo its un-usable

it reboots my phone all the time ! :(

my screen never sleeps when running waze

And leaving waze running in background prevents the crashes (but also using it..)

i almost never drive in unknown areas, i tried it with full/low/half battery

i tried it with a car charger and without...

if a new version wont be out before SEPTEMBER 18th, then im a sad person....

ps: temperature has nothing to do with it, i have reboots now that the heat is rising, i had reboots on the ultra cold days of the past weeks (here in argentina).
rcocchiararo

Postby grebble » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:45 pm

I have sent an e-mail to the devs asking them to comment on this thread and to let us know what the situation is.
Area manager: East Northants, West Cambs and Peterborough, UK
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0.4), Waze v3.0.2.8
grebble

Postby The Fej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Indeed - message received. I think I mentioned in some threads, but in case things require our response, please just add to the title something like "Request SUPPORT Response" so that we will be able to identify items which require our attention.

And to the issue at hand: we are very much aware of the Nexus/Froyo related issues. We've got crash dumps and logs and have been trying to figure this out for weeks, finally getting Google in the loop as well.

Seems that when the Froyo is overloaded, it starts to crash. My gut feeling is that this is the reason that Froyo has not been officially released to any platform other than the Nexus and that there are issues which are being dealt with regardless of waze.

We have seen similar crashes on unofficial roms of 2.2 installed on other devices (Samsung Galaxy as an example) and hence I hope (though I have no information about this) that the Android masters will issue some 2.2.x version to fix the issues.

We are and have been spending a lot of time investigating this and we are just as frustrated as you are about this (we get many emails regarding the issue) but so far did not manage to circumvent this issue. We see Android as a major platform and our focus is to get a release out, but these issues must be corrected. If by some chance we will get information to enable a correction, we won't hesitate to issue a patch release as well.

So I hope this clarifies the issue.
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management

Postby tskramp » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:16 am

well why you're trying to figure out the issues have you not added other features to it? If the issue isn't so much waze as it is froyo could you not release a new version, or at least a beta for us to test, or does the new version add in additional crashes?
Area Manager: Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, West Ashley, Summerville, Hanahan SC
Phone: Nexus One (Froyo)
Waze 1.9.0
tskramp

Postby rcocchiararo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:13 am

isn't 2.2/froyo now official for the motorola Droid and the HTC desire too ?

i do agree thats a thing with 2.2... but waze is the only app rebooting my phone :/

Also, on 2.1, it was already unstable, it would crash a lot, and from time to time, freeze my moto milestone.

too bad there is no way arround this for now :(
rcocchiararo

Postby Hellek » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:12 am

Yeah the only thing I can say in defense of Waze is that the fault actually lies within Android. If an app can make the phone crash (it reboots because it notes a crash in a vital part of the operating system, basically the same thing as the famous bluescreen in windows) it is not the app's fault, it is the fault of the OS. It is supposed not to permit any app doing anything that makes the phone crash (if you rooted, superuser apps are a different thing, but Waze got nothing to do with that anyway).

Unfortunately fixing something in the Android OS takes at least a few months and you can never know whether all manufacturers give the update to all their phones. So the only thing that can be done is that the waze team investigates and fixes what causes the bug in the phone. Even if it is not their fault. I hope they manage to do that soon.
Hellek

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements