Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by dbwiddis
Sorry to revive an old thread but better than posting a new one.

I'm currently trying to figure out the source of this L in Las Vegas that's always showing on my map.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lon ... TTTTTTTTFT

What the "L"? :D
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
So I've noticed with other city names that making editing changes does cause the size/location of the smudge to move.

I'm wondering if it's possible to intentionally introduce a bad city name on a random segment in a more out-of-the-way place and cause the smudge to relocate... even if it never goes way I can stick it out in the middle of unused desert...
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
WeeeZer14 wrote:Relocate? Maybe. Grow even larger? Probably.

Smudges WILL go away eventually if we edit out all of the offending segments. I wouldn't recommend trying to control them. It will be like herding cats :D
They don't grow, and they do move. Cat herding? Maybe. :)

I started with a small experiment and after a few iterations have now successfully "herded" the Las Vegas "L", the Henderson "H", and the Paradise "P" smudges out of the middle of populated areas and into desert wasteland on the edge of my 4-mile editing boundary. :) Maybe they'll eventually go away from there...
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Wow, you are patient! :)
Nah, only took about 5 days of a small move and waiting for the overnight editor update. I started just trying to get the "L" off my daily commute and when that was successful dragged the others.

Now patience would be dragging all 3 letters, currently separated by about 30-40 miles, around to be in the same spot, adding an Enterprise "E", and spelling out HELP... :D :D
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
Actually it looks like there is a form:
To change name of a city / merge cities/ City Name Smudges fix please fill up the form: http://tinyurl.com/changeCity
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dbwiddis wrote:Actually it looks like there is a form:
To change name of a city / merge cities/ City Name Smudges fix please fill up the form: http://tinyurl.com/changeCity
Nope. Not the form. This has been removed from nanorep.
Indeed. Which makes it time consuming to find the seven smudges I hunted down and permalinked and posted in that form after following the instructions in nanorep. :roll:

I guess I can hope someone reads that form even though it's no longer public. Seems to me it would be easier to fix the underlying bug of cities displaying when no segments have their name... automated db clean... rather than the countless volunteer hours to manually fix things that will probably reappear in a few weeks anyway.
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
CBenson wrote:
dbwiddis wrote:Seems to me it would be easier to fix the underlying bug of cities displaying when no segments have their name... automated db clean...
It seems that this exactly what waze is trying to do rather than using the form for this issue.
It seems it is only partially successful.
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
Don't you get extra points when you drive over it? :lol:
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1