Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

New Massachusetts Law Against Texting Begins On 9/30/2010

Post by Mscat
I hope everyone is aware of the new law in MA regarding texting that is effective on 9/30/2010. Under a section of the new law, if you are stopped for texting you could receive a ticket of $100.00. So be careful when sending your Waze alerts. I don't know if our Waze alerts would be considered as texting. I hope not!

Cathy. :shock:
Mscat

POSTER_ID:456313

Send a message
Cathy
Samsung Omnia i910
Boston, MA USA

Post by dburr10085
It's NC but according to the law here you are able to use waze while driving. You can do a search for WRAL then waze to see the report I was in.
dburr10085
Send a message

Post by jedwards
I have been looking for information about the new law and most of what I found seems to say that navigation on a phone is not going to be allowed. The law does allow the use of GPS if it is NOT on a phone. I tried contacting Verizon to see if they had any information on using a phone for navigation with the new law since they sell VZ navigator for their phones and promote navigation as one of the core features of their android phones. I think they missed the point of the email because all I got back was a "Verizon Wireless can't comment on rumors from third parties internet sites" and "Verizon Wireless certainly advises you to obey your State laws".

http://www.masslive.com/chicopeeholyoke ... xml&coll=1

"Rep. Joseph F. Wagner, D-Chicopee, said people can still use a GPS while driving, but not if the GPS application is on a phone. People won't be allowed to use a phone to go on the Internet and search for maps, Wagner said. "
jedwards
Send a message

Post by jimheem
Not sure on the Mass. Law, but here in Connecticut, the law specifically allows drivers to interact with a Navigation system. So just make sure waze is visable on your screen if you get pulled over.

" "Mobile electronic device" means any hand-held or other portable electronic equipment capable of providing data communication between two or more persons, including a text messaging device, a paging device, a personal digital assistant, a laptop computer, equipment that is capable of playing a video game or a digital video disk, or equipment on which digital photographs are taken or transmitted, or any combination thereof, but does not include any audio equipment or any equipment installed in a motor vehicle for the purpose of providing navigation, emergency assistance to the operator of such motor vehicle or video entertainment to the passengers in the rear seats of such motor vehicle. "

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/ACT/PA/2010P ... 427-PA.htm
jimheem
Send a message

Post by jimheem
I have not read the Mass law, but the major difference may be if you are holding the phone in your hand VS mounted in a dock on the dash.
jimheem
Send a message

Post by kitykity
To the best of my knowledge, here in Texas, texting is only forbidden in active school zones... so is talking on the phone. They're serious as a heart attack about it, too.

Susan
kitykity
Send a message

Post by Mscatinboston
Hello MA drivers, how did you survive the 1st day of no texting? I had my phone on my docking station with Waze on, but I was not comfortable having it on my dashboard. Instead, put it on my front passanger seat. Please share your experience. Thanks. :shock:
Mscatinboston
Send a message
Ms. Cathy
iPhone 5 Blk 64GB
Lunatik Taktik Extreme Case

Post by QuickOK
You think that's bad... we have a law getting ready to go into effect that says to the affect if you even appear to be distracted, including but not limited to texting, that any law enforcement officer can pull you over and ticket/arrest you (in the most severe cases)... however it could be argued that you weren't "texting"... but really what are the odds that you are going to be caught doing it... if you even do text or type while driving.
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by robin1979
Wow!

Seriously cheap 8-). Costs of texting while driving are much higher on average here in Europe.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by starmat
Yea same in British Columbia Canada and u could get points too.
starmat
Send a message
Area manager Vancouver, British Columbia - Canada