US 2013 Waze Meetup Recap

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: US 2013 Waze Meetup Recap

Postby harling » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 pm

CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
  • Reversible roadways also on the roadmap after time-based turn restrictions.
This makes no sense to me. Reversible roadways could be handled with just segment time based speed data and thus could be done before time based turn restrictions. However, we can map reversible roadways with time based turn restrictions. Once we have time based turn restrictions why won't we just use the turn restrictions to map the reversible roadways? What would be left to do to implement reversible roadways?

Restricting turns onto a two-way segment effectively makes it one-way for through-routing. But you would also have to restrict turns off of the segment, in case someone begins navigating in the middle of the segment. It can be done, but it would mean coordinating maybe a half-dozen independent timed turn restrictions.

You could likewise do away with all one-way roads by managing turn restrictions in this way--but the concept of directionality is a lot simpler.
harling

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Thank you much for the recap. Sounds like much progress is being made.

One issue that baffles me:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:[*]Time-based turn restrictions coming soon. Screenshots showed interface with ability to specify multiple-day of week and time restrictions with start/end dates.

Glad to here we're still slowing getting to time based turn restrictions.
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:[*]Reversible roadways also on the roadmap after time-based turn restrictions.

This makes no sense to me. Reversible roadways could be handled with just segment time based speed data and thus could be done before time based turn restrictions. However, we can map reversible roadways with time based turn restrictions. Once we have time based turn restrictions why won't we just use the turn restrictions to map the reversible roadways? What would be left to do to implement reversible roadways?

One issue I don't see on the list. Was there any discussion of where waze is heading with the information sought here. In particular any discussion of HOV lanes?
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:05 pm

HavanaDay wrote:So are we suppose to draw all parking lots as landmarks now? And what did you infer he meant by driveable surfaces? Does that include all parking lot roads or still just the major roads in and out as per usual.

There was discussion about POI vs. landmark where POI is a point, not a shaded area like we have now. I am not clear whether Waze is say we should be mapping all business, etc. as landmarks or whether a different feature for POI will be coming. Someone who was paying more attention than me will need to chime in.

Every drivable surface does mean parking lots, but there was a lot of discussion around that topic and how Waze wants parking lots done. On one hand they seemed to say map the lots as roads, then they said just entrance/exit stubs and landmarks otherwise. Pretty unclear IMO. The "all drivable surfaces" comment came out of the question, "Does Waze want us to map all the forest roads, the 4-ft wide off-road, no cell-service roads used by quads and hunters, etc?" And Ehud basically said, "yes." This is why we are rearranging the road types a bit.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HavanaDay » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Here are notes from the US Meetup. I posted my notes and go some others to provide more info, but there still may be some things missing. However, the majority of things we can share are here.

Other Items
  • The POI database will become part of waze (instead of using bing)
  • Ehud said he wanted to include all driveable surfaces and annotate all parking lots, no matter how small. He said this would allow waze to tell someone where to park (based on the parking history of folks going to the same destination).

So are we suppose to draw all parking lots as landmarks now? And what did you infer he meant by driveable surfaces? Does that include all parking lot roads or still just the major roads in and out as per usual.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

Previous

Return to United States