Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

No client turn instruction with only enabled turn of 2+

Post by
[I posted this separate of the 3.6 feedback thread because I am unclear if it is a client or back-end routing issue.]

At the meetup last weekend bgodette and I noticed as we drove through this intersection it failed to provide a right turn instruction into the cloverleaf. This is a pretty common bowtie layout for these interchanges to prevent through traffic from getting off and on the freeway. These interchanges are common in California and I have been ensuring most of them have this bowtie restricted straight through route set up. They have been working fine for months.

We were not sure why the problem happened here, so we came up with the hidden stub turn from that junction that provides a choice forcing the routing engine or client to announce which of the active turns to make.

Today when I drove through this intersection, for the first time since I created this junction many months ago, I did not get the right turn instruction. I have gotten it every time I have gone through here until today.

Something has changed in either the routing engine or latest client. I am pretty sure this is the first time I have driven through here with the latest client. I am not sure if the editor has received any minor updates (prior to the beta release version going live). My assumption is this came from the latest client release or is a change in the routing engine (for which we have no visibility). I think this change breaks functionality in the client that used to work as desired and we should push it as a bug back to Waze rather than changing all the bowtie freeway intersections like bgodette and I did in Sunnyvale above.

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I've verified that the hack with three segments doesn't work either.

Parent segment: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-121.9 ... s=71577185

Livemap route with nav addon shows no "stay right" at the triple junction: http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&lo ... g=57805359
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:But in that example, the name doesn't change. The entering segment has to have a different name from the exiting segment to get a turn instruction.
Good (potential) call. In many of these interchanges, we've always advocated no name segments except for the last important segment and the name and directions propagate back. I've unnamed the segments to see if that makes a difference. Will check Saturday.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:My client is now giving a "Keep right to Montague Expy" instruction at that junction
Seems too early for my last update to have taken effect...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:This function is still broken in Milpitas where it was functioning fine for me for months.
If these two segments are changed to No Name, it will work. And because segments farther down the route have the proper naming, drivers will be appropriately directed left/right based on their route.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:Either way it was working differently in the past and now it changed. We have to change our mapping to support the back end change.
I am not 100% convinced of this as the standard mapping procedure I've always employed the no-name segments in order to produce proper instructions at the appropriate places. And I have not seen it work when the interim segments were named. That being said, if it truly did work before with all segments being named, I can't explain why it doesn't now. Additionally, if the segments are all the same type and all three (parent+two child) segments have different names, my understanding is that it should always announce the two children. In fact, I hear it announce both names even when one of the names is the same as the parent. But perhaps ramps have been an exception? Dunno. Can't exactly explain it, and what you're saying, Kent, differs from my experience with these types of limited access interchanges.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Jhfrontz brought up this issue here: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38469
I thought it had always been like this, but I don't drive through a configuration like this often. The hacks to force an instruction are kind of ugly.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
txemt wrote:Then, if THAT'S the case, why have the node there connecting those four junctions? Why not get rid of the nodes and have the two exit segments just cross each other without connecting them?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
1) Typically only the off/on turn is restricted. In other words the on clover leaf ramp into the junction typically has both turns enabled to allow a clover U turn.
2) Most people seem to want the turn instruction there.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Yes for this segment.
No for this segment because typically you don't restrict the right turn so as to allow the clover U.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Agreed. I'm just pointing out you won't be routed that way without the junction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I've verified that the hack with three segments doesn't work either.

Parent segment: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-121.9 ... s=71577185
But in that example, the name doesn't change. The entering segment has to have a different name from the exiting segment to get a turn instruction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message