Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).
Post by TK80866
Ontopic: I like the green better, although I manually changed the default theme to the night theme on my phone, I like the dark better :)

Offtopic: I got to agree with Hallmike and some of the others, it sometimes looks (and I am not saying it is actually like this as I cannot see behind the scenes, I already found out the Waze team is much bigger than it appears at the outside but I don't know about this for sure) as if there is more done about the looks of the app than the actual functionality.

I can honestly name too many things that need to be improved, before the app will actually really be usable. For myself, whenever I drive I usually have Waze on, but for the actual routing I have to use a standalone GPS device that can actually find the locations I need to go (if I don't know where I have to be). This is, for example, because more than 90% of the houses here in Hawaii do not have house numbers within Waze yet and I wish I could add them but we cannot add dashes in the house number which most of the house numbers have over here and I don't feel much for doing things twice. Because of this, many locations cannot be found yet and therefore it becomes unusable for many people. And there are many more examples I could give that needs to be improved. I don't think it is so weird to think that people who try the app might actually walk out and go for something else because this app is not finished yet.

Like said, I'm sure things are being worked on behind the scene, but this is something we cannot tell. I have the feeling the Waze team is bigger than most expect, maybe it would be a good idea to show the users here how many people work on Waze, for example. be more open and show us some insights. I have to agree with the others, right now it kind of looks as if more work is being put into the look and feel or Waze and like nothing much is being done to the issues that needs to be addressed in order to have a working app and that is a bit sad because I really feel that Waze could become a very big thing if things are done right.
TK80866
Send a message
Had a lot of outdated stuff here.. I should be more active, I guess ;)

Post by TK80866
hodgetts wrote:Is it possible to create a small iPhone app to allow us to create our own colour schemes?

Once written, this could let the community spend the time developing colour schemes and leave the Waze team to work on the main Client. We could even have a way of uploading and sharing our own designs??
Why just iPhone? Not even the majority of people use iPhone.. Sorry, not meant to attack you but there is more in the world than just Apple.

Anyways, you can make your own color schemes very easily. Just go to the Waze directory of your phone, and then to the following dir: Waze\skins\default\day (or night) and edit the schemes there with a notepad. The colors are all in html format (such as #000000 for black, for example). If you don't know the codes, just Google those colorcodes, theyre all over the web :)

A directory higher, you can also add/edit your own mood pictures or like the car that is used as pointer in the GPS and so on. You can completely customize Waze if you look into it a bit :)
TK80866
Send a message

Post by TK80866
sketch wrote:Well, yes, that's exactly it... you can't really look around apps like that with the iPhone unless you jailbreak.

And I would wager that the iPhone is indeed the most popular platform for waze. It certainly is in the United States.
Ok, I didn't know that about the iPhone, I thought you were at least able to do something.. can imagine you want an app for that then yeah.

As for the popularity, both Blackberry and Android are actually more populair in the US (and not together combined, but seperately) as was written in a recent research (http://www.canalys.com/pr/2010/r2010081.html).

Some numbers from that:

Android 34% (combined phone brands)
Blackberry (RIM) 32%
iPhone 22%
TK80866
Send a message

Post by zottel
Some more offtopic: Personally, I think good looks and, more than that, a good readability of the map is a key feature for any navigation app. I like the yellow style best.

That said, in my opinion the colors of the clients are, while not shiny and hip, quite ok. It's the Live Map that is really ugly, i.e. the map that most prospective users will see first. Not only the colors, it's also garbled with far too many city names when zoomed out, making serious orientation impossible, and often small villages are named whereas big cities are not.

On the other hand, I personally couldn't care less about features like twitter or foursquare. That's where I'd say that no development resources should be wasted. :-)

It's probably sth else for everyone. Still, I think solving bugs should be 1st priority, then getting rid of annoyances, then new features and good looks. But, as RallyChris already said, it's probably not the developers, anyway, who are working on new color schemes.
zottel
Send a message