Default Map Colors

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderators: Jackson, krankyd, Unholy

Re: Default Map Colors

Postby svache » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:13 pm

hodgetts wrote:Is it possible to create a small iPhone app to allow us to create our own colour schemes?

Once written, this could let the community spend the time developing colour schemes and leave the Waze team to work on the main Client. We could even have a way of uploading and sharing our own designs??

Why just iPhone? Not even the majority of people use iPhone.. Sorry, not meant to attack you but there is more in the world than just Apple.

Anyways, you can make your own color schemes very easily. Just go to the Waze directory of your phone, and then to the following dir: Waze\skins\default\day (or night) and edit the schemes there with a notepad. The colors are all in html format (such as #000000 for black, for example). If you don't know the codes, just Google those colorcodes, theyre all over the web :)

A directory higher, you can also add/edit your own mood pictures or like the car that is used as pointer in the GPS and so on. You can completely customize Waze if you look into it a bit :)
Area Manager Oahu, HI | BMW X5 Driver | Samsung Galaxy S / Android 2.6.32.9 / Waze Beta 2.3.99.116 User
Join the waze_Hawaii group and follow @waze_Hawaii on Twitter!
svache

Postby svache » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:41 pm

sketch wrote:Well, yes, that's exactly it... you can't really look around apps like that with the iPhone unless you jailbreak.

And I would wager that the iPhone is indeed the most popular platform for waze. It certainly is in the United States.

Ok, I didn't know that about the iPhone, I thought you were at least able to do something.. can imagine you want an app for that then yeah.

As for the popularity, both Blackberry and Android are actually more populair in the US (and not together combined, but seperately) as was written in a recent research (http://www.canalys.com/pr/2010/r2010081.html).

Some numbers from that:

Android 34% (combined phone brands)
Blackberry (RIM) 32%
iPhone 22%
Area Manager Oahu, HI | BMW X5 Driver | Samsung Galaxy S / Android 2.6.32.9 / Waze Beta 2.3.99.116 User
Join the waze_Hawaii group and follow @waze_Hawaii on Twitter!
svache

Default Map Colors

Postby The Fej » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Thinking of making a change and making it more colorful (yet enabling to display the additional information and maintaining visibility), we'd like your view on the 2 options we are examining currently:

The 'Yellow' option (assuming we will not display yellow (low) traffic jams):

The 'Greenish' option (as we do not display roads without traffic as green):

So, please feel free to tell us your view
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management

Postby zottel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Some more offtopic: Personally, I think good looks and, more than that, a good readability of the map is a key feature for any navigation app. I like the yellow style best.

That said, in my opinion the colors of the clients are, while not shiny and hip, quite ok. It's the Live Map that is really ugly, i.e. the map that most prospective users will see first. Not only the colors, it's also garbled with far too many city names when zoomed out, making serious orientation impossible, and often small villages are named whereas big cities are not.

On the other hand, I personally couldn't care less about features like twitter or foursquare. That's where I'd say that no development resources should be wasted. :-)

It's probably sth else for everyone. Still, I think solving bugs should be 1st priority, then getting rid of annoyances, then new features and good looks. But, as RallyChris already said, it's probably not the developers, anyway, who are working on new color schemes.
zottel

Previous

Return to Official announcements