Voice Commands Menu - not translated

Post by Kuhlkatz
With ASR active, some of the strings under the Settings->Voice Commands sub-menu are not translated in any of the languages.

The following strings are still shown 'as-is' in English even after translation in all the languages. I understand that ASR only supports English in it's current form, but having a custom translated version can still easily indicate this :
ex:
'Report heavy traffic'. You'll be
prompted for additional details.

vs the equivalent translated :
* Rapporteer
bv:
'Report heavy traffic'. Jy sal
gevra word vir meer besonderhede.

I have verified at least in 2 other existing 'supported' languages that this is the same, i.e. Italian & Dutch. I assume this would be true across the board . Attached is a screenshot of what I am working on :
Screenshot_2013-03-10-16-46-39-2.jpg
(47.28 KiB) Downloaded 5642 times
Also, not all strings for the ASR microphone popup are available, like:
'Tap to Cancel'
and
'Listening'
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

POSTER_ID:9040325

Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by edsonajj
Kuhlkatz wrote:The is nothing preventing the users from using ASR where it can be activated, assuming they can mimic the American accent well enough.
I would imagine that some people might have limited success with the ASR attempts.
I can only imagine attempts in a thick Russian accent and also the Afrikaans accent where the R is properly pronounced and not 'rolled' like the Yanks ;-)

Still, if this is properly translated, at least the interface text would be consistent. It looks sort of half-baked in its current form.

Off topic, but I added 'Barney' to the ASR command file as an alternative for a certain mood, and I get a higher success rate with that than the other two alternatives.
I have the ASR manually activated (originally for the monster but left it) and have my phone set to British English... I get quite a laugh both from the TTS girl trying to speak in spanish and from trying to give the commands with an accent that matches what it expects.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by Kuhlkatz
There is nothing preventing the users from using ASR where it can be activated, assuming they can mimic the American accent well enough.
I would imagine that some people might have limited success with the ASR attempts.
I can only imagine attempts in a thick Russian accent and also the Afrikaans accent where the R is properly pronounced and not 'rolled' like the Yanks ;-)

Still, if this is properly translated, at least the interface text would be consistent. It looks sort of half-baked in its current form.

Edit: Removed Barney reference - forgot this is an 'open' section.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Last edited by Kuhlkatz on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing