are police there?

Post by
When there is a notification for police ahead it asks if he is there. The notification disapears at 0 feet. How am I supposed to respond that he is not there if it disappears at the instant I would see him?

POSTER_ID:9015070

Send a message

Post by aigarslv
I think that police/hazard questions do need a bit longer delay.
aigarslv
Experts
Experts
Send a message

Post by aigarslv
In Latvia some police officers use Waze and CityGuide, if they see that they have been spotted, they just move to the next spot :)
It is easier than marking not there.
HOWEVER - when we had portable speedcams - a lot of their operators did make comments like not there etc. to get more money ;)
aigarslv
Experts
Experts
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
vinval1 wrote:When there is a notification for police ahead it asks if he is there. The notification disapears at 0 feet. How am I supposed to respond that he is not there if it disappears at the instant I would see him?
Post your hardware/OS info. I've never personally seen this happen. I see the hazard/police notification near .6 miles or so I think.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DaveHolzmann wrote:(Could be the police are using Waze and marking themselves as "Not There"... in order to keep their presence somewhat of a surprise.)
That's been suggests before and not something I think can be easily done, but I've not tried this, so I'm not totally confident. The only way to tap "not there" is to have the police "ahead of you" on your route. So if they were running Waze, they'd have to be moving to tap Not There. They could have some coordination going on with someone else doing it for them, but I doubt they are going through that amount of effort.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
Spil wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
vinval1 wrote:When there is a notification for police ahead it asks if he is there. The notification disapears at 0 feet. How am I supposed to respond that he is not there if it disappears at the instant I would see him?
Post your hardware/OS info. I've never personally seen this happen. I see the hazard/police notification near .6 miles or so I think.
Actually, this happens all the time. Yes, the notification shows up around .6 miles, but it disappears the instant you reach the zero mark; thus, the OP's complaint that "not there" can't be selected once you know for sure whether or not the police are actually there.
Hmm, interesting. I usually get the countdown after I reach the zero mark. I haven't used waze on my Casio C771 recently but thought I used to get the countdown on it as well. I wonder why yours disappear the instant you reach the zero mark and mine don't. I'll have to try the Casio and see what happens here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Daknife
I really don't see this as being that big an issue. I can always see the spot the police are supposed to be at before I get there. Yes it disappears once you get to the zero spot, you are passing him at that moment and no longer have an opportunity to slow down or move over, it's too late by that point. So mark your thanks before you get to him and you are fine.

When I have a police warning pop up, I wait until I get within half a mile or so and then start looking for him. As soon as I see him I mark thanks. (I still feel the 2000 yards is too far out as often by the time I get to where I could even begin to see him I've been distracted by that annoyance called other vehicles on my road/in my way :lol: and forget to look for him).
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
PDXMadDog wrote:I usually lose the notice BEFORE I get to the spot. I agree, letting it stay active for just a little longer would be nice.
If that's the case then the report was made too soon, I had such a report today. They obviously made the report as soon as they saw the cop even though they must have been nearly a quarter mile or more away. I was looking and looking and marked him not there, a quarter mile later there he was is a nice little gap in the center wall built for just such a purpose. Don't report it until you are right on top of the officer. Report it too soon and it gets quickly cleared by drivers who reach that point and see no officer. Report it too late and people get upset because the officer was there before the count-down said he should have been. I hit the report button as I pass the officer.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by floppyrod84
Cadurama wrote:You can only report when you are at the location.
I don't think that's anything to do with what these guys are talking about. They're talking about police using a laptop to see on the live map if they're reported.
Please stay on topic and relevant to the thread.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by jmp316
Spil wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
DaveHolzmann wrote:(Could be the police are using Waze and marking themselves as "Not There"... in order to keep their presence somewhat of a surprise.)
That's been suggests before and not something I think can be easily done, but I've not tried this, so I'm not totally confident. The only way to tap "not there" is to have the police "ahead of you" on your route. So if they were running Waze, they'd have to be moving to tap Not There. They could have some coordination going on with someone else doing it for them, but I doubt they are going through that amount of effort.
In addition to that problem ... if they're just sitting there and not moving, Waze will shut down after the inactivity timeout (which is 5-10 minutes, don't remember for sure), so they'd have to keep re-starting Waze. Also, they would be polluting the speed data for the segment that they were last on before pulling off behind the billboard or onto the U-turn ... so Waze could potentially see that as a "traffic jam" and send you a different direction (thus adding to your trip time, but still keeping you from getting the speeding ticket that you deserved ;)).
They could use Live Map from a laptop... I highly doubt it though.
jmp316
Send a message

Post by kadurama
You can only report when you are at the location.
kadurama
Send a message