Post by doctorkb
I'm interested, too. We have a bunch of LONG distance highways with nothing to break them up here in Canada... if we need to be cutting them every 10km, that is important to know.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
jasonh300 wrote:So refresh my poor memory of the metric system. 100 km is 100,000 meters, right?
Yes. Makes sense, right? Kilo for thousand, + meter equals one thousand meters is one 1 km. :)
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
banished wrote:Although I have a good system, it starts to drag if the segment length is over 70km. I don't know if that's my system or the WME, but you may wish to run your own tests in out-of-the way areas so we can arrive at a number that works for everyone.

Segment length was initially a railroad segment discussion. There aren't too many navigable segments that would reach that length (70km), but there may be a few in the Western US/Canada.
I've driven a lot of the highways around Western Canada and can tell you that, at very least, there is a forest service road that should be junctioned into a highway AT LEAST every 50 km.

I don't think 50km is unreasonable to specify as a maximum length.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
Yes, they told us this.

Ideally, WME should emphasize it while editing, shouldn't it?

Sent from a touch display, which took care of perfectly scrambling my thoughts.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by jasonh300
I have a segment that is 65000 meters that I've adjusted a number of times with no ill effects. There are no other segments connected to it though.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Actually, on a long segment, if cars are entering the segment, but not leaving the segment in the time it would normally take at average speed, the average would start to drop and approach 0 until the cars that have entered the segment have moved on to the next segment.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
kpouer wrote:But if the segment is very long it can take one or two hours (when the segment is 100km long), and I'm not sure how waze will do if the next intersection is at a place where there is no network ? It will never get the speed of the segment ?
In the real world, how many segment are 100 km long without any kind of exit or junction or change in city name? What good is traffic jam reporting going to do if you break it up into short segments if the jam is at the very end of that 100 km segment--you'd have to scroll all the way across the map to see it. On those roads that actually are 100 km without a junction, are there really going to be any traffic jams? In a situation like that, even if you could see the jam, would there even be an alternate route? I'm thinking the remote Australian outback or something where a highway sees a dozen cars a day, and there's no other route.

I just don't see this sort of thing coming into play in very many places.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
banished wrote:I asked the maximum segment length question in a face-to-face meeting with Waze in September 2013 and the response was 10km. If there is a need to revisit the question, perhaps we should ask again?

I'll take the action item to do so. It's a particular interest to me -- and the reason I asked them initially -- due to railroad segments which the present wiki says to keep at <=10km (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_types/USA#Railroad). The answer for railroad (non-routable) segments may not be the same for routable segments, however, so it's worth asking again.
If it's non-drivable and not connected to the drivable infrastructure, is it going to be a problem? The "Walking Trail" that runs along the Mississippi River Levee is about 100 miles long and hasn't caused any obvious problems. I also know of some railroad segments that are well over 10 km.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
banished wrote:Segment length follow up: I received an answer from Waze: It's up to 100km. For our purposes that is not effective until we agree to change it in the wiki.

Although I have a good system, it starts to drag if the segment length is over 70km. I don't know if that's my system or the WME, but you may wish to run your own tests in out-of-the way areas so we can arrive at a number that works for everyone.

Segment length was initially a railroad segment discussion. There aren't too many navigable segments that would reach that length (70km), but there may be a few in the Western US/Canada.

I'll open the bidding at 50km.
So refresh my poor memory of the metric system. 100 km is 100,000 meters, right?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jemay
This segment is "Length: 145842 meters"
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... s=70899599
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon