Segment Lengths

Post by kentsmith9
In a recent thread I was inspired to collect all the info we have on segment lengths and create a template or whole wiki page on it.

I believe we want to note the following and I would appreciate any other ideas:

* Max length allowed by editor from both initial creation and when connecting segments by removing nodes. (I believe we have seen this in the 10km range; I will do some tests unless someone already has.)
* Max recommended length - Explaining pros and cons of longer or shorter lengths on routing, visual traffic indicators, etc.
* Limit on stretching the length of a short road too far in one edit. Also if it is better to stretch it or draw a new road to preserve the traffic data on a segment.
* Min length
* The affect (if any) from connecting nodes (2 segments) on routing penalties, server load (back-end database management), editor complexity, turn restriction errors, etc. Also cover if it is any different for junctions (3+ segments).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by jondrush
1m is the minimum length.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
So you are saying you can create a segment of any length, but after you save it you can no longer edit it until to reduce the size to some specific length?

I know on a railroad some time ago I was trying to remove the nodes between segments and when two segments added to something in the 10km range I received that error.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
txemt wrote:If you have a segment leading from Seattle, WA to St Louis, MO connected to a segment that goes from St Louis, MO to Miami, FL, you can delete the node (by clicking on it and then clicking on the trash can) and you'll now have a segment from Seattle, WA to Miami, FL.
The question is can you change the road geometry after it gets longer than 10km or so? I think that is where I have had problems. Also I seem to recall I could not delete a node (and save it) if the two combined nodes were longer than a certain distance.
Do you know of any segments currently longer than 10km that I could play with so I don't have to create one?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:In a recent thread I was inspired to collect all the info we have on segment lengths and create a template or whole wiki page on it.
That's not a public thread.
:shock: :oops: Thank goodness we don't need the content from the thread to be successful here then. :lol:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
txemt wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote: The question is can you change the road geometry after it gets longer than 10km or so? I think that is where I have had problems. Also I seem to recall I could not delete a node (and save it) if the two combined nodes were longer than a certain distance.
Do you know of any segments currently longer than 10km that I could play with so I don't have to create one?
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

You can play here.
txemt, did you know that permalink has a node on both freeway directions with the turn restriction preventing through traffic?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
kentsmith9 wrote:txemt, did you know that permalink has a node on both freeway directions with the turn restriction preventing through traffic?
:lol: OK, you created it just to play with. I can see that now. Thanks.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
kentsmith9 wrote:* Max length allowed by editor from both initial creation and when connecting segments by removing nodes. (I believe we have seen this in the 10km range; I will do some tests unless someone already has.)
For the first entry I am hearing and seeing currently there does not seem to be a physical limit to the length of a segment. This is true for both initial creation and when linking segments together.
kentsmith9 wrote:* Max recommended length - Explaining pros and cons of longer or shorter lengths on routing, visual traffic indicators, etc.
Now I am more interested in the group's opinion on the pros and cons of long segments vs. short ones and what max length is recommended.

Max Length
I recall threads discussing something between 6km and 10km and a recommended max length. Opinions welcome and I presume there will be a pro/con for your length recommendation.

Pros for long segments
* Simplified editing of road names (less segments to select).
* No danger of incorrect turn restrictions at two segment junctions.

Cons for long segments
* Reduced visibility of traffic due to small impact to long road.

(Note the pros and cons for short segments are the opposite of the above so no need to repeat the opposite form of each one.)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
The other reason we proposed shorter segment lengths was to better indicate where traffic slowdowns were on a long segment. If you are 50km long and at the end of that segment there is a stoppage, you won't see it because the average of 500m at 0 kph will not impact the 50km segment with 80kph average.

The net result for routing is no different though. The routing engine will still account for the time change over the entire length of the segment the same as it would for ten 5km segments with the stoppage at the same point. Since there are no turns off that road for the 50km, its not like you could get around the slowdown.

However, the net result for the visual will be different. The 50km segment will possibly never show slow traffic when you plot the route and look at the initial traffic. Only later will you run into the stopped traffic. With short segments, Waze can warn the driver of a slowdown of traffic because the segments are shorter and will be detected as different from their average.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
bgodette wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:The net result for routing is no different though. The routing engine will still account for the time change over the entire length of the segment the same as it would for ten 5km segments with the stoppage at the same point.
Routes with fewer segments are preferred by routing over a route with more segments even if the route with more segments seems to save some unspecified amount of time. Some percentage of the secondary route being a faster route is caused by this.
I thought we recently discussed this (over the last year and in Vegas) and confirmed that the junction itself only added time when the segments were without traffic data. Then once it had traffic data there was no time added for the junction if data existed.

The logic for adding time because of a junction would be ludicrous if you considered a major roadway through a city like El Camino Real through the SF Peninsula with hundreds of parking lot connections. In the real world, each junction to the parking lot has no affect on the straight through traffic beyond the measured average time to cross that entire segment. Waze repeatedly tells us they want to map everything eventually. They would not have such routing logic if that was the intent.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message