Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

iPhone5 Lightning adaptor w/Pioneer drops GPS

Post by gldelx
I've posted this on Apple's support forum as well, but thought there was more likelihood of someone here having a similar setup and issue/solution.
I have a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... VIC-X930BT with the 30-pin iPod/iPhone adaptor CD-IU51V http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... s/CD-IU51V in my car.

I upgraded my iPhone4 to iPhone5 back in October and started using Waze about the same time. Since my commute is generally an hour+ each way, and I was ending up with a totally dead battery by the end of the day, I bought the Apple Lightning 30-pin adaptor after a couple months. I started noticing my GPS signal being dropped from anywhere from a few seconds to the entire drive so reinstalled iOS and it still did the same so took it into Apple and they decided after looking at the error logs it had a bad GPS antenna and replaced the phone. New phone does the same and I then realized it only does this when plugged in. I've tried to re-create this with the Lightning/30Pin when plugged in inside but can't. Only when in the car.
So if I reliably want to use Waze, I can't have it charging. :(
Have others powering an iPhone5 thru a Pioneer noticed this?
gldelx

POSTER_ID:12546334

Send a message
Attachments

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
When you write "USB in the car" is that a simple charger only or is it a USB connection to the stereo as well?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bgodette
Is there an app similar to GPS Essentials for iOS? It'd be useful as a test app to see what's going on when you connect to the radio.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bozvaliant
Hi,
I'm having the same problem with my app radio 3. Appradioworld.com says that when the phone is hooked up to the head unit and using Waze, the stereo uses its internal gps and not the phone. Waze needs to make it optional on whether or not to use the head unit's gps or the iphone's gps.
bozvaliant
Send a message

Post by dbborns
I am noticing the same on my iPhone 5 when plugged in during the commute with the lighting adapter charging my device through my USB in the car then the GPS loses signal. It also does the same thing on my PC when the device is charging. Something definitely is not right. Waze works fine as long as I don't charge my phone. iOS Maps and Google Maps work regardless of charging state.
dbborns
Send a message

Post by gldelx
as much as I'd like to blame ATT, I don't think they have anything to do with it ;)
I assume the Pioneer cord has power spikes or something that jolt the GPS antenna
gldelx
Send a message

Post by gldelx
Without taking the dash out of the car and getting access to the USB on the other end of the pioneer adaptor cable, this is the only option in the car.
gldelx
Send a message

Post by gldelx
dbborns wrote:Waze works fine as long as I don't charge my phone. iOS Maps and Google Maps work regardless of charging state.
Mine stall out on all, but it's not as noticeable in the other apps since they don't have a banner that says the GPS signal was dropped like Waze provides.
gldelx
Send a message

Post by iammarcotoo
I am having the same problem when I connect my iPhone 6 to my touch screen car head unit using hdmi and lightning cable, hence, at the same time, charging the phone.

I am using the latest iOS (8.3) and Waze version (3.9.4.5).

My GPS suddenly drops when I connect my lightning cable to my phone. I have to do this in order to mirror my Waze screen to my head unit and allow my head unit to control Waze, which works well, except that the GPS is dropped, and therefore my turn-by-turn navigation is severely affected.

Any help will be very much appreciated.
iammarcotoo
Send a message

Post by kostal
dbborns wrote:I am noticing the same on my iPhone 5 when plugged in during the commute with the lighting adapter charging my device through my USB in the car then the GPS loses signal. It also does the same thing on my PC when the device is charging. Something definitely is not right. Waze works fine as long as I don't charge my phone. iOS Maps and Google Maps work regardless of charging state.
Same here. Randomly losing GPS when charging thru USB in the car (even though it's a new 2.1A charger from Belkin)
:-(
kostal
Send a message