These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by CBenson
fvwazing wrote:Irrespective of the continuing roadblock, WHY does Waze send me into a 40 minute jam, without as much as blinking?
OT, I know, but I'm curious as to what waze gives you for alternate routes.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
The closure on my morning route was still there this morning. The closure feature utterly failed me this morning. However, I neglected to indicate the type of closure as either hazard, construction or event. I simply indicated that the duration would be all day and hit send. In response, waze indicated that the road segment I was on as closed and indicated that I was about to reach my destination, when I was not on the road of my destination. Tried send logs but received a message that there was an error uploading the logs.
ClosureFail.jpg
(27.15 KiB) Downloaded 1427 times
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
fvwazing wrote:Wazers on the blue track will report THE NEXT SEGMENT closed. As soon as that block works, Wazers coming from the same direction will be guided off the highway ONE EXIT TOO EARLY and into the roadblock - over the green track.
So if I understand this correctly, the reporting wazer will be immediately rerouted based on his/her own closure report. But if on the freeway, where the next segment is just the freeway segment between the off ramp and the on ramp, the reroute can be straight back down the on ramp to the closed freeway. It seems that is what howsmith reports here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Road still closed this morning. I had another failure reporting it. I was stopped at the traffic light at the intersection before entering the last block before the closure. I knew that I couldn't yet enter the closure. So I waited until I entered the next block and could see my car icon on the segment before the closure. However, when I selected the road closed feature, it still gave me options like I was on the prior block. I couldn't figure out how to get my position refreshed to show the correct options before it was too late to input the closure.
ClosureFail2.jpg
(20.74 KiB) Downloaded 1471 times
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
In an effort to be able to reference all the available road closure information, I think it worth it to reference here this thread regarding the use of the road closure feature.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
jwkilgore wrote:Zoom way in and make the ramp angle about 45 degrees for just a few feet then turn back to the real-life shallow angle. The road will look the same when zoomed out, but it will handle directions better and things like the road closure arrows will stand out better.
I would avoid angles of about 45 degrees. It is better to use departure angles of 20 to 30 degrees as discussed here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Junc ... e#Geometry.

45 degrees is the cut off between giving a keep/exit or a turn instruction. So unless you are really good at distinguishing 44 degree angles from 46 degree angles, when you make an angle of "about 45 degrees" you don't really know if you are creating an exit instruction or a turn instruction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
jwkilgore wrote:I'm a level 4 map editor with over a hundred thousand map edits, tens of thousands of driving miles, and hundreds of reports. But according to Wazes's computers and automated algorithms, I'm just as worthlessly untrustworthy someone who installed Waze 101 miles ago.
I don't think this true. As Alan stated in the OP:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There is some magical trickery which assigns what is referred to as a "trust value" to users. Maybe that's rank, who knows?! But fewer users of higher trust value are required to close a road and affect routing for all users.
The algorithm may well be miscalibrated, but I don't know of any indication that it treats you the same as a baby Wazer.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
bretmcvey wrote:This is the ramp that I'd encountered.
Well you could do something more like this:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
as discussed here:
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Junc ... ging_Roads

However, the road closure feature should not depend on editors doing this.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I want to reiterate that I continue find the road closure feature to be too buggy and the interface to unfriendly. This makes the feature next to unusable.

Today I tried to report a road closed. I stopped at the barricade, but while stopped there waze again decided I had entered the closed segment and thus I could not mark the segment closed. I marked the next segment of the road closed. I then started on my way on the open road, but there was not enough divergence between the open road and the closed road so waze kept me snapped on the route into the segment I marked closed. Waze then announced that I had reached my destination. Then waze determined which road I was actually on and recalculated a route to my destination.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
So I was approaching another road that was closed today. I was a red light looking at the police barricade on my left. But as the left turn is normally restricted there, waze would not give me the arrow to close the road. Does the road have to be closed from each direction at an intersection to be effective?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message