Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Ideas

Post by HildenX
Well, I am posting here for the first time about Waze and my ideas. I have been using it for about four months and have driven from one side of the U.S. to the other. No joke. And I have some ideas for it.

The police reporting, please impliment some sort of indication for whether or not the police is mobile. And with that, put like a 5-10 mile warning down that direction (highway). This would help with other drivers (in my opinion)

Also, a problem with reported police is that it will tell me I have that 2k ft until point of report, well, when not going 90+ mph it will time out before I reach it. Probably best to delay/have the timeout happen after reaching said destination.

Reporting. Sometimes I will get that time-out asking me to "re-report" it at a later time. Well, either I am missing this option or it just isn't implimented. If you could, put in an archive of sort to resubmit the missing submission that timed out. Have it as a short lived archive though, as the problem may have moved on to better and greater things. I'd say five minutes total time. Sometimes, you just can't report with mountains in the way.

Other than those few ideas, I am pretty much pleased with the whole system!

Thank you for reading this and possibly entertaining these ideas.

V/R

HildenX
HildenX

POSTER_ID:11767732

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
HildenX wrote:Also, a problem with reported police is that it will tell me I have that 2k ft until point of report, well, when not going 90+ mph it will time out before I reach it. Probably best to delay/have the timeout happen after reaching said destination.
The time-out counter doesn't start until after you pass the location of the report. However, there could be a bug in Android which starts the timer prematurely.
HildenX wrote:Sometimes I will get that time-out asking me to "re-report" it at a later time. Well, either I am missing this option or it just isn't implimented.
This is on a feature request/bug list for Waze (community-built, so it's unofficial) to implement caching of the reports. The "re-report" thing isn't true. You can't report it later because now you've moved past the location.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by HildenX
razor2k wrote:And I'll just add that GPS on Android pretty much sucks from my experience :cry:
I'd have to agree with you on that. About halfway through Pennsylvania on 80, my GPS dropped on my phone(with full signal). However, my car had perfect GPS tracking (I use Waze to supplement my cars anti-social GPS). But, that could also be contributed to by my location in the mountainous hill side :roll:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:This is on a feature request/bug list for Waze (community-built, so it's unofficial) to implement caching of the reports. The "re-report" thing isn't true. You can't report it later because now you've moved past the location.
Yeah, that's why I said to have it short-lived. Useless to report this thing an hour or so later. But, five to ten minutes seems reasonable. And thank you for pointing out that it's in a bug report. I will be checking that out :)
razor2k wrote:This Is something I have noticed for awhile. Although I believe it may have something to do with where your GPS "thinks " you are at that time.

Sometimes I can be 1000+ feet away and the countdown starts....other times I can go just past the report before it begins counting down.

It's never really bothered me personally....I just attributed it to GPS error. But could there be something to it?
I've noticed it actually start the "time-out" timer perfectly with the report and other times, 1000 ft too early. But, the thing is that it still is counting down the amount of feet until you actually arrive to the reported item.
HildenX
Send a message

Post by razor2k
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
HildenX wrote:Also, a problem with reported police is that it will tell me I have that 2k ft until point of report, well, when not going 90+ mph it will time out before I reach it. Probably best to delay/have the timeout happen after reaching said destination.
The time-out counter doesn't start until after you pass the location of the report. However, there could be a bug in Android which starts the timer prematurely.
This Is something I have noticed for awhile. Although I believe it may have something to do with where your GPS "thinks " you are at that time.

Sometimes I can be 1000+ feet away and the countdown starts....other times I can go just past the report before it begins counting down.

It's never really bothered me personally....I just attributed it to GPS error. But could there be something to it? :?
razor2k
Send a message
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual

Post by razor2k
And I'll just add that GPS on Android pretty much sucks from my experience :cry:
razor2k
Send a message
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual