Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

are police there?

Post by vinval1
When there is a notification for police ahead it asks if he is there. The notification disapears at 0 feet. How am I supposed to respond that he is not there if it disappears at the instant I would see him?
vinval1

POSTER_ID:9015070

Send a message

Post by Spil
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
DaveHolzmann wrote:(Could be the police are using Waze and marking themselves as "Not There"... in order to keep their presence somewhat of a surprise.)
That's been suggests before and not something I think can be easily done, but I've not tried this, so I'm not totally confident. The only way to tap "not there" is to have the police "ahead of you" on your route. So if they were running Waze, they'd have to be moving to tap Not There. They could have some coordination going on with someone else doing it for them, but I doubt they are going through that amount of effort.
In addition to that problem ... if they're just sitting there and not moving, Waze will shut down after the inactivity timeout (which is 5-10 minutes, don't remember for sure), so they'd have to keep re-starting Waze. Also, they would be polluting the speed data for the segment that they were last on before pulling off behind the billboard or onto the U-turn ... so Waze could potentially see that as a "traffic jam" and send you a different direction (thus adding to your trip time, but still keeping you from getting the speeding ticket that you deserved ;)).
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by Spil
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
vinval1 wrote:When there is a notification for police ahead it asks if he is there. The notification disapears at 0 feet. How am I supposed to respond that he is not there if it disappears at the instant I would see him?
Post your hardware/OS info. I've never personally seen this happen. I see the hazard/police notification near .6 miles or so I think.
Actually, this happens all the time. Yes, the notification shows up around .6 miles, but it disappears the instant you reach the zero mark; thus, the OP's complaint that "not there" can't be selected once you know for sure whether or not the police are actually there.
aigarslv wrote:I think that police/hazard questions do need a bit longer delay.
I agree.
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by RoyaltyWoody
Over the past few days, I've noticed that the police haven't been there most of the time. It makes me think Wazers are warning about police who are in motion. Kind of a, "Hey! I just saw a police car drive by!" Which is not terribly helpful. (Of course there are police cars driving their "beats". The only way you can predict someone else is likely to get caught speeding by one particular officer is if that officer is stopped and watching/waiting for a speeder.
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RoyaltyWoody
I've sometimes had them disappear as I approached. However, my guess was that someone else had already marked them as "Not there"... whether or not it was true. (Could be the police are using Waze and marking themselves as "Not There"... in order to keep their presence somewhat of a surprise.)
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by PDXMadDog
I usually lose the notice BEFORE I get to the spot. I agree, letting it stay active for just a little longer would be nice.
PDXMadDog
Send a message

Post by Mr_GO_HERD
I usually click that they are there when it comes to police becuase better safe then sorry... getting a ticket that is. :)
Mr_GO_HERD
Send a message
Mapping from the plains of Illinois to the mountains of West Virginia!
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406 ... 146710.jpg