These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by CBenson
Here is a specific example: 17th Street south of Constitution is currently closed. But you can't indicate that if travelling westbound on Constitution because the turn is restricted.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
So today, M Street SE in Washington is closed due to the shootings at the Navy Yard. I could not close the ramp from I-695 to M Street as I passed it. I could manage to hit the little arrow, but that didn't enable the "Next" button.
MClosure.png
(43.86 KiB) Downloaded 908 times
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
So here is a current shot of the live map area around the Navy Yard.
916NavyYard.png
(194.97 KiB) Downloaded 894 times
What do road closure pins without red/white closed road segments mean?
How does one create such pins?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
daknife wrote:Whereas a Major accident report, flags the problem area for the routing systems immediately.
Do we really have any indication that a major accident report has any effect on the routing at all?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I've seen little improvement in the road closure feature. The arrows remain too small and overlap when there are small gore angles. You can't effectively close a road because you can only indicate a closure for a few segment that you can normally route through from the segment you are on. You can't indicate the road is closed in the middle of the segment you are on.

As we are now nearing app version 3.8 with little apparent improvement, it seems to me that it makes little sense to continue to report closure interface issues in the client release threads or through the beta testing channels. Bugzilla continues to show that there are no bugs with the road closure feature. I fear the developers may think this is the case.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I continue to think that you should need fewer (not more) closure reports to cause the routing server to reroute all users on major well traveled roads. It seems to me that one closure report from a single trusted user should be sufficient to confirm that the absence of real-time traffic data on a road that normally has real-time traffic data is due to a closure.

It is the less traveled side roads where waze doesn't have enough data to show an absence of normal traffic that multiple user reports might be need for verification that the road is actually closed. The system just seems backwards to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Given all the major problems with the road closure feature, I reluctant to bring up a minor issue. But here goes anyway. Does the choice of "Hazard," "Construction," and "Event" make any significant difference to the hazard report? When you report a hazard, if it makes to the map, it is shown on the map with the "closure" pin with the red and white sawhorse barricade and then the red and white stripes on the closed segment. If you tap one of these pins on the map it opens labeled with "Hazard," "Construction" or "Event" depending on what the reporter picked (I have no idea what happens when multiple people reporting the closure pick differently). If the reporter doesn't pick anything, the dialog when you tap the pin is labeled "Closure."

I find the "Hazard" and "Construction" labels to be too easily confused with the non-closure hazard reports (even though the Closure dialog shows the red and white barricade). I suggest that the title of all the closure pop-ups be "Closure." If this is the only effect the "Hazard," "Construction" and "Event" buttons have, I would get rid of them. Reporting a closure is too complicated as it is. I would welcome getting rid of an option when reporting a closure.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
The interface still drives me nuts. There was a storm that knocked a bunch of trees down in my immediate neighborhood down on Tuesday. It turns out that trees don't always block the road at the intersection. Nor does the power company always put up a barricade at the end of the road when its blocking the road. The inability to say the road you are on (or were just on because you turned around at the blockage) is closed is a problem.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Let me add my claim to it not giving enough credibility. I tried a construction close a few days ago for a short stretch of road that was posted as being closed for four days. It did immediately route me around my closure, but the next day tried to take me through. The road surface had been entirely ripped out so I know that not a single Wazer went through the construction (unless he/she was driving one of the tractors doing the rebuild). I'm not a Champ, but with over 2 mil edits, a level 5 editor ranking, and having held the gold waze mood for my state for over a year (finally lost it this week due to computer problems keeping me from editing,) I'd think it should give me a bit of credibility in making a report last more than 24 hours.

I think this tool has potential, a corresponding tool in the editor (level 3 or higher only?) for marking longer term (days not weeks or months) closures in the editor would be a good idea. Yes updates are frequent enough now, but it would be nice to be able to simply note a planned closure in the news or on a flashing sign, and be able to not only enter the planned closure but also pre-program an end date for the closure to lift, with a threshold over-ride if a certain number of wazers are tracked through the closure prior to the scheduled opening. (though maybe not the threshhold idea as I have seen evidence of construction workers running waze through construction zones.)

In app reporting for accidents, weather, impromptu construction and other short term closures lasting up to a day or two. In editor reporting for closures longer than what the app allows, but without requiring us to actually change the map (disconnecting segments), just allow us to mark the relevant segments as closed, and set an expiration time/date.

But I'm late to this discussion so that's my 2 cents, carry on.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Looks good based on what we know so far. Love that a lev 5 even has to repeatedly report the same closure (three days in a row now) each morning, and evidently until someone else bothers to report it, only I can see the closure. (The road I've been playing with is a seldom used residential street that's being rebuilt.)
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint