Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Misspelled City Help

Post by
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

The Attached Permalink shows the City of "Hamlin" but instead of it being spelled this way "Hamlin" With a "n" at the end It has a "m". Spelled "Hamlim". The Correct Spelling is H A M L I N and this is Driving me bonkers because it is preventing me from labeling and naming the roads & landmarks fully and correctly. Also when i check the cities tab to color and show all cities, the town isn't even bordered/highlighted correctly. If anyone can help me please do. I am the Area Manager of this area and not being able to correct all the issues is annoying me.

One more thing, when are we going to be able to label house numbers?

POSTER_ID:9789549

Send a message

Post by CBenson
Are we talking about the CDP described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicksonville,_Pennsylvania
Or is there another Dixonville.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I'm not trusting Wikipedia, just wanted to make sure I was in the right place. It has always been the wrong name in waze because the US Census Bureau has the CDP spelled Dicksonville and that is where the original basemap data came from. So the next question is, should the place be on the map at all? Seems like most of the roads through there are assigned their township names, with some roads in the census CDP boundaries having alternate names with the "Dicksonville" city name.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Daknife
Same issue in Butler PA, a friend from that area was grumbling about it being listed in Waze as Butler(2). I tried renaming to Butler but it had an issue with it claiming Butler was too far away, so I renamed every street segment I could find to "Butler." That's Butler with a period after it. In the TTS the period is silent, and on screen it's far less noticeable than the (2).
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Please point to said standards. At the time I did it I searched for quite a while and found no resolution. And this is about the fourth time I've mentioned this situation and your feigned outrage is the first response back about my kludge fix for citizens of the only City of Butler in PA being labeled as the second Butler. I even submitted a question to support about it months ago with no response, and then just a few weeks ago I submitted it again using a form for just such situations as mentioned in another forum suggesting they do a mass fix to correct the situation from my kludge. (And still no response)

You don't like it feel free to fix it, but don't feign outrage at something that has been mentioned multiple times, and reported to support multiple times with no results other than my own fix. "Butler City" or something similar would work except why do they have to have city in the name when nobody else does.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Since when should I know that such is the sole responsibility of a regional coordinator? Seriously, I try to follow these topics but they get posted all over, the total re-alignment of the forum layout at the time your positions were created doesn't help either. Go ahead and fix it "properly".

Even so, take a look, most of that work was done long before such position even existed. I did revisit recently and found a few more segments I'd originally missed, but most of the renaming happened before you were a regional coordinator.

Take another look at those threads you linked, two are in the last couple months, the other is much older but does not address the City(2) topic at all, but rather naming cities by zip code (and I posted on that thread about how that's not a reliable route exclusively as often many cities can fall under the same zipcode. Find me one on how to rename a city with a (2) suffix that predates your becoming Regional Coordinator. Oh and as I mentioned somewhere before a friend from the area complained to me about it, and I tried to find an official fix. When one could not be found I figured out something that was less intrusive than the (2). PA isn't my normal stomping grounds but I did live and work there for a couple years several years ago so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the area of western PA.

If I run across another such city I will ask the Regional Coordinator to fix it. Hopefully you (or they) will be more responsive than Waze support was in the past on this very topic.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
It's all good.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by dbraughlr
Dixonville, PA, USA, is misspelled as "Dicksonville".
dbraughlr
Send a message

dbraughlr
Send a message
Ѭ

Post by dbraughlr
I don't know why it was ever updated to be the wrong name. No one who drives through there will see Dickson on anything.

(Wikipedia has been corrected.)
dbraughlr
Send a message
Last edited by dbraughlr on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ѭ

Post by dbraughlr
Dixonville is what is used in the addresses because that is the name of the Post Office. Dixonville is correct, particularly for those within the borders of the town.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Ѭ