House numbers page

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
FYI, in case you hadn't seen this link in the House Numbers thread in the Editing forum:

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Hous ... the_Editor

I created this because the next editor version is going to be released really soon. They've taken care of the bugs and I don't see anything which would prevent them from releasing it as soon as tomorrow.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I've added some clarifying text to the page for the house number and segment markers. Should the wiki page call it a "segment marker" rather than a "stop point"?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bretmcvey wrote:
CBenson wrote:Why not route there and see?
Already tried and it didn't work... which is why I'm still curious if that's a limitation in the routing side of things to take a user onto a private road... or if the client has yet to utilize the newly populated house numbers.
As noted just a few posts up, the search does not use internal Waze house numbers yet.

On forcing: if I would have had any information about forcing limitations, I would have put it in the wiki.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
crazycomputingdotnet wrote:Alan, one thing that you need to add in the flow for forced. If you need to add a house number outside of the allowed area, you need to save the number first in the allowed area then go back and move the markers to where the house/street is.
Updated.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:Split Roads

Do we want to simply say if a road is split be sure to add only house numbers on the side of the street accessible to those drivers? I think it is simple enough to say and understand.

Also split roads have the added complexity of people unsplitting them and losing the house number data on one side of the street (depending upon which segments are kept). I wonder if we need to propose a feature to "merge segments" to retain house numbers and other road details.
I'm not sure we have enough information to act on this yet. We don't know if house numbers should be added to only one side of a split street. Might there be a reason to add it to both? (can't think of any off-hand).

Also, I'm not sure about the merging thing. If you take both sides and put them together and turned to two-way, do all house numbers remain?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Update added to this page to clarify that new roads need house numbers because Waze isn't likely to import/merge data in the future.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Larry, there is at least one thread about such addresses in Hawaii in the house numbers forum. There may be others, like the Hawaii forum. Do a search for address hyphen or hyphenated and/or Hawaii and I bet you'll get a few relevant threads.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It's in the threads, but some may not be accessible. The plan is to support non-alpha, but isn't available yet. For now, google will most likely supply the address search from the app anyway. Searching the forum for "hawaii hypen" or "hawaii dash" or "address hyphen" or "address dash" would likely get you all the information you need to know about the situation without having to post the question again...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
james9becker wrote:I am also concerned that at the end of March Waze noted in the Wiki that the app and the editor could not search on the user entered street numbers. Now it's July and we still can't search on them.:cry:
Yep. Because the result now would be worse routing than we have now due to stop point limitations.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message