Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).
Post by unwallflower
I wonder if the crashing problems are related to specific phones.

I sort of suspect that the older, less powerful phones are the ones having the force close and crashing troubles. That would explain why my friend's G1 crashes almost every time he tries to use it, while my Evo has rarely crashed at all.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
Guess I have to eat my words. In the past three days waze has gone from never crashing at all to rebooting my phone. I wouldn't call it unusable (yet, at least), but it has crashed twice in the past few days.

Great.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
grebble wrote:
unwallflower wrote:Guess I have to eat my words. In the past three days waze has gone from never crashing at all to rebooting my phone. I wouldn't call it unusable (yet, at least), but it has crashed twice in the past few days.

Great.
I've gone the other way. I had Waze running today for about 40 minutes, driving around, recording new roads, and it didn't crash once. Strange!
:lol:

I've tried to figure out a reasoning behind who experiences crashes and who doesn't, but it seems there's no rhyme or reason!

I suspect that mine can be at least partially attributed to updating to Android 2.2 a couple of weeks ago... but waze worked perfectly fine for a week or two afterward. Just now started crashing. Who knows... :|
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
muchski wrote:Can't wait for Version 2.0! I can feel it! Hoping any day now! I wanna join groups! Despite being area manager I use Android so I couldn't even make the group for my area. In a way it's good because it is encouraging that there are so many other active Wazers in Winnipeg too! :)
Wish I had as much faith in them as you do.

Now I, like others, would be happy settling for an updated version that just actually WORKS. I tried to use waze on a drive yesterday... tried five separate times to open it, and every single time it made my phone reboot completely. Ridiculous. I finally gave up. Maybe it'll work today, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
damaniac wrote:Where is the feedback from the developers?
For me personally, THIS is the biggest frustration.

I seem to remember that not too long ago the waze team said they were going to try to communicate with their user base better. It worked quite well actually for a bit, but now we're back to the old guessing game.

I'm frustrated that waze reboots my phone every time I use it. I'm really frustrated that I'm losing a LOT of points and map-editing permissions due to this (on top of some other routes that they mysteriously "lost" earlier this summer and never got back to me on). But really, I'm mostly just frustrated that they can't seem to communicate.

They need a strong user base in order for waze to grow and succeed, and leaving us in the dark with our non-functional versions is not the way to build that user base.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
The Fej wrote: Seems that when the Froyo is overloaded, it starts to crash. My gut feeling is that this is the reason that Froyo has not been officially released to any platform other than the Nexus and that there are issues which are being dealt with regardless of waze.
I just wanted to gently correct you: there are currently several phones that have officially received 2.2. The Nexus One was the first, yes, but since then the HTC Evo received it and the Droid 2 was shipped with it. In less than a week the Samsung Epic will be shipping with it as well. There may be more that I'm not aware of as well.

Thanks for the update! It's good to hear that you guys have been trying to fix it. I will add that (to me) 2.2 does seem much less stable in general than 2.1 did, so your statements make sense.

Sigh. I hope that there's some way to fix it, eventually.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
aride4ever wrote:Ok so I picked up a samsung Epic 4G from sprint, great phone android 2.1. Installed waze and installed the version 1.9x from the app store. It worked but had some serious force close issues. I installed the beta yesterday all is good except I can not get rid of the annoying look out for a yummy 25pt candy message at the top. It blocks out a few CM of the screen. there is a microscopic x in the bottom right but it is to small to press on the capacitive screen w/o pressing the underlying zoom button. How have my fellow waze'rs closed this message ? Does it show up on your screen ?
You just tap the message itself and it should close. This is how it worked for me.

I sent them an email a while ago saying that the x makes no sense because you can't tap it and it doesn't do anything. Looks like they didn't get rid of it. But yeah, you should be able to tap the middle of the message and it will close.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by username95
tskramp wrote:Still no news on when a new android version is coming out? My current problem is the whole phone restarting about half the time waze is up. And I'm 99% sure it's waze since the uptime will be several hours, then either as soon as I turn on waze, or shortly after it decides to restart.
My first post and unfortunately it is going to be a negative one. +1 for the above. I've had no problems with my android rebooting before I started running Waze. (version 1.9.0.0) I'll keep using the software because I love the concept...or at least until google navigation provides the option to reroute around traffic. But geez guys, work on the stability issues instead of all these new features. As someone said above, the stability issues will be a huge turnoff for potential new users. And I want more Wazers to get good traffic info!
username95
Send a message

Post by vikos
Hi,

for the guys who want to leave Waze: My suggestion is, to run it in background and use Google Nav instead. Thats the way I do it currently. Have not had a single crash running it in background, but a lot when I ran it in foreground.
You will at least gather data and can choose to take over a more active role once everything runs better...
I do not expect that Waze will be usable for the "big public" in Germany for the next one or two years, but at least I gather data and do updates in the editor from time to time. Navigation is still almost completely unusable here...
when waze reboot phone, its hard to run it on background :) so I am still try to found new users, but the are mostly on android and have troubles with app stability :(

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
vikos
Send a message
:!: Než začnete editovat: :!:
* Waze Czech wiki / Editace / Značení cest / POI - překlad / video návody *

HTC Desire (Android 2.2) + Waze release 2.0.2.4 (Beta :) )
Area manager: Ostravsko, Opavsko a Frýdecko

Post by vikos
rcocchiararo wrote:i changed my moto milestone (2.1) which was ok for waze (it did crash, froze phoen, etc), but now i changed to a nexus one with android 2.2, and i can use waze for a while, then it reboots my phone, and i cant use it anymore, cause it reboots all the time :/
its 2.2 problem, i have i too on my desire - so i am waiting for a new version :)
vikos
Send a message
:!: Než začnete editovat: :!:
* Waze Czech wiki / Editace / Značení cest / POI - překlad / video návody *

HTC Desire (Android 2.2) + Waze release 2.0.2.4 (Beta :) )
Area manager: Ostravsko, Opavsko a Frýdecko