Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Locking discussions

Post by markg42
I posted a question this morning about significant miles that have uncharacteristically not shown up over six days. A fellow named "AndyPoms" quickly responded with a link that said there can lags, then locked the thread. I found other discussions on point and find they they too are locked. I now suspect there have been many more such discussions that have been deleted. Is it possible that missing points/miles is a topic which is off limits here in Waze?
markg42

POSTER_ID:11371183

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
First off I want to say that I didn't respond here originally because I felt I wasn't going to be able to be diplomatic with you, so I talked to Jason about both your PM & this post and asked him to handle it.

1) I PMed you back asking which thread you were talking about as there were several I had locked/moved around at about that time. If you had used the PM button to the right of my post in the locked thread, it would have automatically included a link to the thread. You still haven't read the PM I sent. I was able to track down the thread you were talking about, and while I was waiting for your reply, I saw this thread.

2) The thread I sent you to is the topic for the CURRENT delay in drive processing, not a general thread on processing delays. Yes, something went wrong this week, and if you had actually read the thread I sent you to, that is what ALL the discussion in that topic is about.

3) Your thread was one of at least six others I personally locked on this exact topic, and there are many more locked by other moderators. Each user does not need their own "It's not working for me" thread, and with all your CompuServ experience, I'm sure you know this.

4) Yes, there are issues with the way the forum is laid out and it leads to one topic easily fitting into multiple categories, but we still need to keep the conversation consolidated so the one piece of information on how to fix the issue (if there is anything you can do about it) or the official word about it from Waze doesn't get lost in one thread and not another. There is a reorganization proposal out there right now to try to remedy this: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43901
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by jasonh300
Since you've dragged this into public (rather than just sending a PM and CCing it to 50 community administrators, as you did earlier). In his reply, Andy gave you a link to the proper place to discuss your problem.

In case you're new to internet forums, it's generally considered bad etiquette to start a new topic for every new problem that crops up. Search the forums and see if it's being discussed elsewhere. I explained this in my reply to you.

By creating yet another new topic on this matter, you're adding more clutter to the forums and saying "I don't have the time or patience to read what anyone else has to say on this matter. I demand to be heard without interference from other users. I'm better than everyone else!"

Try reading the thread in the link, posting in the appropriate forum, and keep your grievances out of the public eye.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
What you still don't seem to be understanding is that Andy gave you a direct link to a thread that discusses the very problem that you described.

http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43895

Drives are not processing. This means your mileage won't show up and your drives won't be visible in the editor. There are also other posts in there that explain other possible reasons for this, but by reading the thread, it should be very obvious that this is happening to people across North America. You aren't the only one.

That's also the thread where any official updates are going to be posted.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
Not off limits, no, but AndyPoms is a moderator that is just trying to prevent all of the millions of users each creating his or her own thread about his or her missing points.

It's a known issue as his closing remark stated.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by markg42
I admit my newbieness, especially if my private message to Andy went to others. Ugh. Mea culpa. But I stand by the content of my first message that Andy locked. I tried to find the right place to post that message, I read every other discussion on point I could find, and I did not find anything addressing the same issue.

I was trying to point out constructively, and with specficity, that over the last week something has changed -- miles (not points) are being discarded at a far greater rate than has happened for the the last three months that I have been meticulously tracking how and when Waze accumulates miles.

But then Andy immediately locked the thread after leaving this brief response containing a link to a thread about the normal delays: >> There is a delay in drive processing. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43895 << It did not seem to me that he had even read my message.

Now you may ask why I care. And I'll tell you. It's mainly because this is fun. Waze has its problems and is arguably not the best GPS app I could stick on my windshield. Nevertheless, it has its very useful side, and more importantly (to me), it makes me feel like I'm part of something, like a giant video game in which I'm a participant. It recreates for me some of that old CompuServe feeling where I really felt I was part of a community. I want to help a little.

Speaking of CompuServe, in 16 years there, much of it is as a Sysop, I found there were two major buzz kills. One was the collection of trolls who would litter the forums with their sneering condescension. And the other was overly aggressive thread management by fellow sysops. The latter is what I felt in Andy's action (sorry, Andy), and the former is what I do not want to be. So my apologies if you detect any trollness from me, and my additional apologies as for posting in the wrong place and anything else that exposes my newbieness.

I still assert that Waze discarded far more miles last week than it has for the last three months. No, it doesn't really matter. But it does matter that some of you took the time to respond to me here. Waze is still making me smile. Thanks, Mark
markg42
Send a message

Post by markg42
Andy: Your linked thread does indeed address the current problem to which I referred. I won't bother explaining how I misread it, but I was incorrect. Mea culpa all over again. Geez.

As an aside, I'll explain why I said that Waze is still making me smile. On one morning or another for the last few weekends I've been slipping out early while everyone is still asleep to have breakfast at this truckstop I like. And I'm always home before anyone knows where I've gone. So this last Sunday morning while staying home at my computer I turned on Waze on the iPhone, and it quickly asked something like "Are you going to the Iron Skillet?" I laughed out loud when I saw that -- no one in my home knows I've been going there, but Waze knows. :-)
markg42
Send a message

Post by markg42
For anyone still following this thread, I would like to further acknowledge my wrongness by noting that most of the missing miles did show up during this past week. In fact, the missing percentage for the last couple of weeks is now less than it has ever been since I started tracking.

Regards, Mark the obsessor
markg42
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
markg42 wrote:
Speaking of CompuServe, in 16 years there, much of it is as a Sysop, I found there were two major buzz kills. One was the collection of trolls who would litter the forums with their sneering condescension. And the other was overly aggressive thread management by fellow sysops.
Having been the subject of [what i felt was an overly aggressive] "locking" on one of my firsts posts to the waze forums, I can readily sympathize with you.

What I've come to realize is that this type of interaction is a product of the tool (phpBB) and its [mis-]application.

We're trying to have it be an announcement system, a system-status/monitoring tool, a bug-reporting tool, a knowledge base, a user-rating system, and probably several other things and oh-by-the-way a discussion forum when the tool is really meant for only one of those.

This [mis-]use arguably necessitates actions by moderators that sometimes come off as brusk, condescending, and generally unfriendly--especially given the size of the user base (and the ratio of users to moderators). That some of us who have been locked (looking strictly at myself here) have, shall we say, a healthy self esteem and probably a bit of ASD doesn't make it any easier on the moderators.

This all leads to my oft-repeated call for a new tool. Something purpose-built rather than cobbled together. Lithium, StackExchange, and SlashDot immediately come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

Until we get a new tool, try to be patient with the folks doing the moderation. Theirs is a Stygian/Sisyphean/thankless task.

Jeff
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by thefatveganchef
I would also like to add that keeping the same issues and bugs in one thread instead of having them spread out in multiple threads makes people's jobs easier as well. The Waze developers, moderators, and champs only have to look in one thread and see the information about the bugs in one multiple page thread instead of having to look and do multiple searches and try to piece the bug together. This helps you help us and makes the issue get resolved faster.
thefatveganchef
Send a message