House numbers page

Moderator: Unholy

Re: House numbers page

Postby bretmcvey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:12 pm

I've already tested out under level 4 status and the force feature worked for setting stop points beyond the standard distance as well as for handling some streets where the house numbering may not follow the conventions of keeping the numbers in numerical order.

I'm curious if the client is yet utilizing the new stop points. I've tried one rural example with a longer private drive. I'd assume that given the stop point's position, using that particular address would route to the primary street affiliated with the address and then up the private road that terminates near the stop point.
bretmcvey
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
bretmcvey wrote: Will rural housing that's offset further than the standard range from the affiliated road need to be forced to better indicate where the house exists?
There is a "force" feature built in for this express purpose, as well as out of sequence numbers, odd/even not being consistent, etc. I'm not sure if all editors will have access to it or if it will only be available to higher level editors.

Do we know which editors can use the force feature? It is certainly information that should be added to the wiki.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:51 pm

I just saw another thread that mentioned they could not find info on house numbering for split roads. We should probably add that to http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/House_Numbers_in_WME.

If someone does not get to it before I return from Costa Rica in a week I will take a stab at it, but we probably want to discuss it here first.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:17 am

It was pointed out in another thread that we should determine when the FAQ for Missing House Addresses should be updated. I think it currently needs a mix of active and not yet active answers. Maybe we can split them up or at least update it to the current status of House Numbering.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 pm

vickimachado wrote:By the way, I'll be glad when in the next upgrade developers figure out a way to put the stop point somewhere other than right in front. Many destinations have driveways off another street. Until then, there's no real way to improve search results for these places from what the third-party services provide.

I have seen some of the conversations around that and it appears doable, but no idea how far down the line :( .
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Machete808 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:41 pm

That sounds like a plan! Guess I'll wait until the next NA update to try that out. I'll just come back to this thread to report the results.

By the way, I'll be glad when in the next upgrade developers figure out a way to put the stop point somewhere other than right in front. Many destinations have driveways off another street. Until then, there's no real way to improve search results for these places from what the third-party services provide.
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 pm

If you can, try what I described to be sure your theory is correct.

1. Search for some non-existent address on a street that uses the prefix system and include both the prefix and suffix with the dash.
2. Note what location is provided.
3. Try the same thing again with only the suffix of the non-existent address.
4. Try to search for an existing address with only the suffix of the address.
5. Now add the non-existent address on the road.
6. Assuming addresses are going to be searchable after a few days (assuming it is not disabled for some time still), search for the same items as above and note if any results are different than the first search of each.

This should tell us enough about what to do for the missing dashes in Hawaii at least.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Machete808 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:40 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I am not sure the new addresses are being searched yet. Is it possible the address came from one of the other search providers?

That is possible. I know addresses that aren't on WME are still turning up in search, prolly from Bing or Google. I'll wait until the next update, and test again.
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 pm

I am not sure the new addresses are being searched yet. Is it possible the address came from one of the other search providers? Maybe you can do a test and create an address with just the suffix on a road near you and see if (after a few days) the data is searchable in the client. Part of that test should include searching for the "test address" before you add it to see how it behaves. Then if it acts differently we know your test was successful (or proved the failure).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Machete808 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:28 pm

I don't think it's a problem with the existing import. After testing it out this morning, I saw that typing in my full numbered address, which is how a user would do it, got me to my house, with the hypen typed in and without.

I don't know this, but it would seem that the prefix acts like an area code.

I'm guessing that new addresses don't need to include the prefix, but I'll wait to get more official instruction before adding in any.

I did add in a few new addresses that have no prefixes, in response to URs, and it's SO COOL to be able to correct these things directly yourself!
Machete808
Country Manager
Country Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion