Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

What Speed Cameras?

Post by karl_db
Somebody is adding Speed Cameras to the Dublin maps. There is one on Aston Quay which does not exist and another on the N11 (R138) at the Mount Merrion Avenue junction which does not exist either. The first one offers a countdown to the camera location on approach, but the latter does not.
karl_db

POSTER_ID:13346532

Send a message

Post by davidg666
Karl_db wrote:Somebody is adding Speed Cameras to the Dublin maps. There is one on Aston Quay which does not exist and another on the N11 (R138) at the Mount Merrion Avenue junction which does not exist either. The first one offers a countdown to the camera location on approach, but the latter does not.
Anybody at all can add a speed camera from the client, and it then appears in brown in the map editor. It won't appear for other users on their clients until it has been approved in the editor, which requires specifying a trigger speed and lining it up correctly. After it's been approved, It shows up in grey in the editor.

I often come across reported cameras (brown) in the editor in places that would obviously never have a camera, such as in the middle of small housing estates - and I delete these. When I see a camera on a main road, unless I know for certain that it is or isn't there, I leave it alone in the hope that another editor who knows for sure will either approve it or delete it.

I suspect that many users report cameras from the client when they see a temporary Garda speed trap, which is probably why so many show up. However, the functionality is intended for fixed speed cameras, not locations where temporary Garda speed traps are sometimes set up. I suspect that some users also report what they *think* are speed cameras when instead they're cameras for traffic light control or traffic monitoring.

I don't know of any definitive resource for fixed speed cameras in Ireland, but if there is one, that would be very useful for working out what to approve and what to remove.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland