Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by JimB50
I am also concerned that at the end of March Waze noted in the Wiki that the app and the editor could not search on the user entered street numbers. Now it's July and we still can't search on them.:cry:

Jim
JimB50
Send a message
Jim
Level 3 editor
LG VS 930 Android 4.1.2
Cleaning up in my area

Post by kentsmith9
This page is very well done Alan! Thanks for all the work creating this from scratch.

Note that I updated the page name to prevent any confusion over which editor we meant in the future. I already updated the internal wikilinks to the page to go directly to the new named page and have the original being a redirect to the new one to prevent any problems with possible external links (like your OP link).

I also slightly modified the section titles to more closely match the Wikipedia convention we try to follow. I added a few other wikilinks inside as well.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
vickimachado wrote:I gather hyphenation is an issue, but should these numbers all be corrected to read 46111, etc.? I need to be clear on this before adding new ones or editing these. Thanks.
Personally I doubt that just "111" would find your house since there are up to 99 (or more) other houses with 111. Therefore I would say "46111" would be better than just "111".

Also I believe the "-" is for increased human readability and the ability to increase the house number beyond 999 for a single prefix (like 46-1199).

However that mean much of Hawaii will start wrong, so maybe we need to have Waze review this import and re-import the data it once they support hyphens. Maybe in the mean time they can re-import and just add the prefix as part of the number.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I am not sure the new addresses are being searched yet. Is it possible the address came from one of the other search providers? Maybe you can do a test and create an address with just the suffix on a road near you and see if (after a few days) the data is searchable in the client. Part of that test should include searching for the "test address" before you add it to see how it behaves. Then if it acts differently we know your test was successful (or proved the failure).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
If you can, try what I described to be sure your theory is correct.

1. Search for some non-existent address on a street that uses the prefix system and include both the prefix and suffix with the dash.
2. Note what location is provided.
3. Try the same thing again with only the suffix of the non-existent address.
4. Try to search for an existing address with only the suffix of the address.
5. Now add the non-existent address on the road.
6. Assuming addresses are going to be searchable after a few days (assuming it is not disabled for some time still), search for the same items as above and note if any results are different than the first search of each.

This should tell us enough about what to do for the missing dashes in Hawaii at least.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
vickimachado wrote:By the way, I'll be glad when in the next upgrade developers figure out a way to put the stop point somewhere other than right in front. Many destinations have driveways off another street. Until then, there's no real way to improve search results for these places from what the third-party services provide.
I have seen some of the conversations around that and it appears doable, but no idea how far down the line :( .
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
It was pointed out in another thread that we should determine when the FAQ for Missing House Addresses should be updated. I think it currently needs a mix of active and not yet active answers. Maybe we can split them up or at least update it to the current status of House Numbering.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I just saw another thread that mentioned they could not find info on house numbering for split roads. We should probably add that to http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/House_Numbers_in_WME.

If someone does not get to it before I return from Costa Rica in a week I will take a stab at it, but we probably want to discuss it here first.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
FORCE - Limitation by editor level
CBenson wrote:There seems to be editors that cannot force as noted here: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44646
If so, the wiki should include the information.
For the Wiki here http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Hous ... rs#Forcing can someone confirm the actual limitation? Is there a minimum editor level? I think it should be easy enough to add once we have the info.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Split Roads

Do we want to simply say if a road is split be sure to add only house numbers on the side of the street accessible to those drivers? I think it is simple enough to say and understand.

Also split roads have the added complexity of people unsplitting them and losing the house number data on one side of the street (depending upon which segments are kept). I wonder if we need to propose a feature to "merge segments" to retain house numbers and other road details.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message