Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

App shows Mexican (world) map, but drives/URs on NA

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I was in Mexico over spring break and found something odd. Others near the border perhaps could comment on whether this is to be "expected."

The app showed me the map of the city San Luis Rio Colorado, MX from the world server, but my drives and URs I posted show up on the NA map editor, and I have no editable area on the world server.

For example, screenshot from the app:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4241/img1092.png

Compare the street names and types visible on the world server to the streets/names on the NA server.

I dropped multiple URs with street name updates and all of them appear on the NA server as well, such as these two, which should have shown up along Calzada Monterrey, which you can see on the world map.
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1820 ... 1at102.png http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1820 ... 1at102.png

During the trip, I did force Waze (##@other) to the world infrastructure, but this doesn't seem to totally work.

The question is, is what I experienced the "norm" for Waze in locations close to the US border where the device/app aren't able to properly deal with the switch to the non-US infrastructure?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Orbitc, there are two infrastructures but one account. I've edited outside the US before with no issues.

Jason, this is nowhere near gettingthere's area. It's clear from the screenshots that the app was showing the world server maps.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
orbitc wrote:Where were you edited outside the US?
Honduras.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I think you are missing my point. The app, when driving there, showed the World server road network, but my recorded roads and URs appear on the NA editor.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
orbitc wrote: Is that happen because you were not added (user name) to the world sever perhaps?
This is something which doesn't make sense to me and not something I've ever heard of in 3 years. We've never advised anyone going on travel between infrastructures that they need to create another account. In fact, just the opposite: there is one account for both with the same password. It's always been that way. When I traveled to Honduras this is exactly how it worked and it worked just fine.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Thanks for the reply, gettingthere. What I still don't get is how I was "on the NA infrastructure" but the app map showed the world server map as I noted in my screenshots and link. The two are dramatically different and easy to tell apart.

I did have data and could easily see it occasionally switch in the evenings before bed between Verizon and Roaming. The Verizon data was often do slow due to distance, I would use my hand to shield the signal so that iOS would switch to the stronger Mecixan network.

If I was on the NA infrastructure, then the app totally failed to display the correct map. And I still have no editing rights on the "real" Mecixan map. ;/
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by enhket
When editing on the world server, sometimes you cant edit an area which belongs to the country you have country editing rights. It is a problem with the borders (polygons).

You forced the app to stay on world server, but the system was not able to find the proper country in the borders. There is a chance that when they defined the polygons for the NA server, the cities in the borders were included, so when it cant find the area on the world server (because of the border issue) it will choose the NA as best option. Definetely an anomaly and we should look into it.

I had the same problem when I was in Mexicali and Tijuana/San Diego.
enhket
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/6b/W ... _0M_6c.png
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8

Post by gettingthere
From experience crossing between Mexico and the USA everyday, here is what I believe happened:

* You were close enough to the border that you were Wazing on the USA/Canada infrastructure.
* You really can't force the Waze app to another infrastructure. The Waze client determines from your GPS coordinates and their configuration what infrastructure you should be on. The Waze App does not switch infrastructures immediately at the border with the USA and Mexico. In Tijuana, it is at least several miles to the south.
* The map cache of the area that the Waze App will cache is overwritten as new data arrives when you switch infrastructures.
* Things will work differently depending on if you have an active data connection or not.

AlanOfTheBerg - did you have an active data connection while you were Wazing in Mexico near the border with the USA? Sorry if you covered this already and I didn't see it.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Yes, it's a bit odd that you were seeing the map on the World server but your drives were registering on the USA/Canada server. I could understand if you pre-cached your route on WiFi while forcing Waze onto the World server and were driving with no network. But it is really difficult to explain how you had a connection, a map from one infrastructure and drives registering on another.

Maybe one day Waze will get Mexico and likely any other countries that you can drive between on the same Waze infrastructure. That would minimize these issues.

How do the GPS layers in the editor look in the area of Mexico that you visited on the USA/Canada infrastructure vs. the World infrastructure? I expect most/all of the GPS tracks will be on the USA/Canada server. So likely you wouldn't want any editing rights on the World server for that area since it's not going to do you or any Wazers any good if Waze is running on the USA/Canada infrastructure there.

This is also creating a challenge for the map editors near the border in Mexico. Which map do you edit? How do you find the correct editor? Will you be able to set a route across the border?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jasonh300
Alan, are you sure you weren't on the NA server, but seeing the Mexican maps that Gettingthere added to the NA server?

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message