Waze can't hear my voice

Post by
Hi All,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.2 and when I try to input a voice command, such as "report traffic," Waze doesn't hear my voice. I've tried issuing quite a few different commands, and after Waze asks me to "try again" it seems to give up and says "cancel." I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Waze, but that didn't work. Anyone else having this issue, or does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

POSTER_ID:14993483

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
To enable bluetooth headset integration for voice commands, use the Prefer Bluetooth option on iOS Waze. On Android, the option for this is in the OS settings somewhere. (Not an Android user am I.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
You're only using the available commands, right?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bobsk8
I have a Nexus 4 and have great difficulty getting Waze to hear voice commands. It works sometimes, and at other times say's it can't hear the commands no matter what volume I use when speaking.
bobsk8
Send a message
Nexus 4
Atlanta, GA.

Post by bobsk8
Well I tried all kind of things today and cannot get Voice commands to work properly with my 3 week old phone. I even tried giving Google some voices, and Google has no problem in understanding. Guess I will have to stick with pressing the screen to send alerts, etc.
bobsk8
Send a message
Nexus 4
Atlanta, GA.

Post by bobsk8
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:You're only using the available commands, right?
I have tried all the commands on the list, and when it works it works, but once I start driving after the first command or so, that is the end of it. It won't accept any more commands at that point.
bobsk8
Send a message
Last edited by bobsk8 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nexus 4
Atlanta, GA.

Post by bobsk8
tstrempfer wrote:Same problem here. GS3, stock Android 4.1.2. A few months ago voice commands for traffic or hazards used to work. But no more. What is frustrating though is that once I reach my destination, if I wait for a bit and fire up waze again, and "test" a voice commanded hazard, it hears me just fine. It's only when I'm underway it doesn't work. A fix here would be HUGE, because as mentioned by others, feeding back this sort of road intel to the community via screen taps is way to dangerous. The voice idea and menu structure I think was well thought out (when it worked for me way back when anyway). But now I am no longer able to contribute feedback to the community. :cry:
That is exactly what I am experiencing. Once I get where I am going, and fire up Waze again, it works perfectly with test commands. Hours later, on my way home, I start Waze, drive a mile or so, try to send a command, and it won't work.. Looks like quite a few people on this thread are having the exact same problem. I am running stock Android 4.2.2
bobsk8
Send a message
Nexus 4
Atlanta, GA.

Post by bobsk8
I wonder if Waze is even aware of this problem and working on it. It's a shame, because at this point I am not using the hazard alerts any more, too dangerous to type in stuff at 70 mph.
bobsk8
Send a message
Nexus 4
Atlanta, GA.

Post by Bobwucher
I have tried both options blue tooth on setting and both off. It still will not pick up commands. Works fine on phone speaker only but that make the app to dangerous to use while driving! All this started with the last download so I'm pretty sure it was in the new voice commands that were installed. I have an I phone 5 but it sounds like it hits many type of phones also. My wife has not downloaded the upgrade and hers still works fine with blue tooth
Bobwucher
Send a message

Post by ButterlessToast
Same issue here. Waze understands my first 2~4 voice commands, then it does not understand any other voice commands after that. I had this happen on my HTC One S, Samsung G2, and the Samsung Exhibit.
ButterlessToast
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Yes I have the same issue. I've not been able to get waze to hear/understand any voice commands. Same symptoms - no matter what I say I get back "try again" a couple of times and then "cancel." I haven't yet tried to figure out why or fix it. I will note that I can use the native voice recognition with no problem to search for destinations by hitting the microphone button on the navigate screen, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902