Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

I want to love Waze, but...

Post by MarishaSmith
Maybe it's me, since I'm a brand new user (6 days) and don't know what I'm doing, but I'm having trouble here. Today, the list of turns told me to get off at an exit in the middle of nowhere; the next instruction had the correct exit off the original road I was traveling on. The box at the bottom of the screen estimated that I'd cover 292 miles in 3 hours and 8 minutes (seriously???). The ETA kept inching later and later, but the miles and time never changed. Finally it just stopped working, "searching," for a couple of hours. The navigation did very well in the more populated areas of cities, but I had to keep playing with it to stop the blank screen with just the car on it. I have some other basic questions that don't seem to be answered in the resources offered on this site, maybe because they're too basic. Where can I go for Waze for Dummies-type help? I'm this close to getting rid of it and paying for tomtom, which my friend recommends.
MarishaSmith

POSTER_ID:14908299

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It sounds like you were using Waze is low cell/data coverage area. "Searching..." typically means Waze is unable to contact its servers to download the map data.

The wrong exit/map info sounds like the map needs some updating/editing. The map is crowdsourced, so as users, we get to make updates to the map when we find problems. The Waze Map Editor, link to the manual in my sig, is where to start learning about how to edit. Map editing sounds easy enough, but road networks and more complex than you may think.

If you have trouble figuring things out with the editor, there is an Editing forum (under Map) here where you can post questions or ask for help with that. Make sure you at the very least, include a Permalink to the location on the map. Permalink is described in detail on the first page of the Waze Map Editor page in the wiki.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Laakkus
www.waze.com/wiki

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Laakkus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
Area manager: Some cities
Country manager: Finland
Suomenkielinen Wiki | Asemien tarkistus | Editointiohje
i9300 | Resurrection Remix | Waze 3.9

Post by Laakkus
MarishaSmith wrote:Thank you, Laakkus. The link took me to resources I had already reviewed unsuccessfully, which prompted my posting in the first place. Maybe I need to find a young person to help translate this stuff for me.
I'm not that old! :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Laakkus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
Area manager: Some cities
Country manager: Finland
Suomenkielinen Wiki | Asemien tarkistus | Editointiohje
i9300 | Resurrection Remix | Waze 3.9

Post by MarishaSmith
Thank you, Laakkus. The link took me to resources I had already reviewed unsuccessfully, which prompted my posting in the first place. Maybe I need to find a young person to help translate this stuff for me.
MarishaSmith
Send a message

Post by MarishaSmith
Thanks, AotB. :-)
MarishaSmith
Send a message

Post by MarishaSmith
I'll keep trying for a while, maybe I'll get the hang of it. Thank you all for your confidence.
MarishaSmith
Send a message

Post by Merida-SCV
Marisha: Please don't give up. I'm old. :) And I am a luddite. After the first week or so, I started editing and now I'm hooked. How can you leave before you move up levels and start carrying a shield? Or a sword?

And definitely ask questions in the forum that AotB suggested. http://www.waze.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

There are many knowledgeable and helpful people who answer your questions.
Merida-SCV
Send a message