Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby txemt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:30 pm

I've thought of "waze" to help out emergency responders using waze, myself having been in the industry for 10 years, and find it difficult to really nail down an "emergency mode" setting on the app. I would think that people who see it may use it to their advantage and get in the way of first responders to the scene. I'd like to see something where an emergency responder can close out a few sections of highway/roadway because there's an evacuation going on, street closures due to a large fire, etc, instead of having to go to each individual street.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby icissel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 am

I know this is an older thread and perhaps this has been addressed already. I work in emergency services and often times an accident is posted on waze before we even hear about it. When an accident occurs on a highway or other road where opposing traffic is divided by medians or barriers it makes it difficult to determine the exact location of the accident and the best route (i.e. getting on an on ramp to go north when you should go south). It would be great if there were an emergency mode where users could select their service area and view a list of recently posted accidents (or even recieve them as push notifications) to help find the best route to the accident.
icissel

Postby Riamus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:36 pm

I think crosswalks are a bad idea overall. The main reason is that you'd be getting warnings constantly in a large city that has crosswalks at every intersection. Can you imagine driving through someplace like New York City? "Warning, warning, warning, warning..." People would just get annoyed. And suggesting to use it only in certain cases wouldn't work either. People would add one everywhere if it was allowed. I can see where certain ones may be dangerous and you might want a warning for those. But I think those need to be set as something else if anything. As far as police ticketing for those, I don't think that's a good reason for them either. If police are there, mark them. No need to mark the crosswalk for that.
Riamus

Postby crezymunky » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Not all the crosswalks are properly marked. Some there is barely a sign. If you are in an unfamilier area, it would be nice to have it in waze. No need to act that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
crezymunky

Postby fvwazing » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:57 am

Are those crosswalks HIDDEN? Where I live they are clearly marked (in the interest of those pedestrians using them). If they are routinely overseen it makes perfect sense for the cops to sit next to them.
fvwazing

Postby crezymunky » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:31 am

I would like to see all the new crosswalks that have been added in Montgomery county maryland for one. There are so many now, in plaves that make no sense. A small alert that you are approaching one would be nice, especially since the police are using them as ticket traps now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
crezymunky

Postby pydagenais » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:04 pm

the bicycle is a nice idea, but it could be build on its own layer and only be access by a second apps that share the main map and let the roads as they currently are,

but this isn't the main topic of this tread !

Thanks
pydagenais
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby fvwazing » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:24 pm

p1l0t wrote:I would absolutely use a bicycle mode. We already can designate bicycle/walking paths so why not allow navigation for them in a mode that isn't going give bad data to car drivers. Plus how cool would it be to see a little bicycle wazer going by on the map. I use this app for avoiding traffic and road hazards (or plain navigation if I don't know the way somewhere) but a bicycle mode would add additional functionality for me. I'm 30 years old and getting kinda fat I try to ride my bike like every other day because it's helping me get back in shape. Plus the town I live in is HUGE on bike riding so it would get mapped for bicycles in a hurry. Also many other navigation apps to offer these modes so it will help make sure Waze keeps on crushing the competition. :mrgreen:

Why not??? Because it means tripling/quadrupling the density of the map without adding ANY value for the principle users - car drivers. Worse even, the added complexity will degrade the map beyond usage.

As you say, many other navigation apps do it. Helping out cyclists would not be a unique selling-point for Waze; detailed traffic-info for cars is.
fvwazing

Postby akajime » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Motorcycle - 250 cc and above
Moped/Vespa 50 cc to 350cc
akajime

Postby p1l0t » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:01 pm

I would absolutely use a bicycle mode. We already can designate bicycle/walking paths so why not allow navigation for them in a mode that isn't going give bad data to car drivers. Plus how cool would it be to see a little bicycle wazer going by on the map. I use this app for avoiding traffic and road hazards (or plain navigation if I don't know the way somewhere) but a bicycle mode would add additional functionality for me. I'm 30 years old and getting kinda fat I try to ride my bike like every other day because it's helping me get back in shape. Plus the town I live in is HUGE on bike riding so it would get mapped for bicycles in a hurry. Also many other navigation apps to offer these modes so it will help make sure Waze keeps on crushing the competition. :mrgreen:
p1l0t

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App