Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Make cardinality an optional field

Post by timbucks
Would it be possible to make cardinality an optional field? If the E, W, N, S, etc were moved there the map would look less cluttered (quite often the client will show the name of the opposite carriageway on the map which is of no use). It would also remove the inconsistencies across the world with regards to bracketing of them

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
timbucks
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:4950596

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
timbucks wrote:Will shield numbers be just numeric as the US differentiate road types by the shape and colour of shield and they don't have need for alphanumeric characters
No. Shields are already alphanumeric. Typically a number followed by a letter with no space, like "99W".
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by dknight212
timbucks wrote:Would it be possible to make cardinality an optional field? If the E, W, N, S, etc were moved there the map would look less cluttered (quite often the client will show the name of the opposite carriageway on the map which is of no use). It would also remove the inconsistencies across the world with regards to bracketing of them

Hopefully when (if) we get road shields here in the UK it should start to look less cluttered.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by harling
timbucks wrote:Would it be possible to make cardinality an optional field? If the E, W, N, S, etc were moved there the map would look less cluttered...
It would also be good because the name of a road and the direction of travel are separate properties. The only reason we put N/S & E/W in the Name field is that we have no other place to put it. But just like including the county/borough in the city name, it's a workaround; the proper solution is to make it a separate field.
dknight212 wrote:Hopefully when (if) we get road shields here in the UK it should start to look less cluttered.
Distinguishing shield information from street/alt name is a step in that direction. Even if it means a proliferation of yet-unused fields in the road database, I hope that when they update it for one feature, they are anticipating the needs of other features like this.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
Some highways can contain letters apart from their cardinality; e.g., Route 1A. I always keep a space between the highway designator and its cardinality, so in this case shields along one-way sections would be labeled "1A N" and "1A S".
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by timbucks
dknight212 wrote:
timbucks wrote:Would it be possible to make cardinality an optional field? If the E, W, N, S, etc were moved there the map would look less cluttered (quite often the client will show the name of the opposite carriageway on the map which is of no use). It would also remove the inconsistencies across the world with regards to bracketing of them

Hopefully when (if) we get road shields here in the UK it should start to look less cluttered.
Will shield numbers be just numeric as the US differentiate road types by the shape and colour of shield and they don't have need for alphanumeric characters

timbucks
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message