California Court Bans Checking Smartphones Maps While Drivin

Post by Audietor
What is your say on this? Do you agree with this?
http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/06/califo ... e-driving/
Audietor

POSTER_ID:12310182

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gohamstergo wrote:Second point doesn't matter since you have to touch SOMETHING to start the voice actions haha.
Not with Waze. Voice commands without touching the screen is available.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
gohamstergo wrote:well, not exactly. its more like "As California goes...so do the rest of the crazy-ace blue states."
You appear to be right. Virginia doesn't seem to be going that way. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tra ... ml?hpid=z3
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by cougargt
I agree that it is both good and bad. I've been slowed down to many times by people using their phones and not paying any mind to what's happening around them. I've been using bluetooth for years and firmly believe everyone should. Also made a custom mount that lets me just shift my eyes a little and have full view of my phone screen. It really couldn't be any more natural to use it. You could almost say my eyes never leave the road. So if you're setup before you start driving there's very little reason to touch the screen. Other than to alert everyone about the cop that just pulled you over for obstructed vision with your phone in the windshield. California has always been on the bleeding edge, I think they've lost so much blood that their brain is shutting down.
cougargt
Send a message

Post by greenstreetm
I often feel pulled in both directions with issues like this. On one hand, I don't like the government telling me what I can and can't do for things as small and minute as when and how I can use my cell phone. I trust myself to have enough of the previously mentioned common sense to decide when it is and isn't safe to use it myself. On the other hand, I don't trust anyone else on the road to have that same common sense, so Instead of seeing these types of laws as taking away my freedoms, I can look at them as protecting me from the stupidity of others. Hard to know what is 'best' overall.
greenstreetm
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Area Manager: Bellingham, WA
iPhone 6+ - AT&T - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2.0.2

Post by hamster--
xd-data-ii wrote:So in waze setting your route before you drive is ok but pressing the screen to do any reports in the app is illegal.

Would like to see a far better, quicker and more advanced voice functions of waze then with lots more commands (even personal macro type ones).
Correct on first point, can have screen on and doing its thing, but no touchy feely.

Second point doesn't matter since you have to touch SOMETHING to start the voice actions haha. California screws you either way, do even try to beat them, or they'll make anything you try to do illegal too.

This just in: California to Begin Charging Air-Fare. All gyms close, all marathons cancelled.
hamster--
Send a message

Post by hamster--
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Not with Waze. Voice commands without touching the screen is available.
touche. but if a cop sees you taking your hand off the wheel to wave at your phone, he's gonna pull you over anyway ;)
razor2k wrote:What's the old saying?..."As California goes...so does the rest of the Country"

Damn shame! :cry:
well, not exactly. its more like "As California goes...so do the rest of the crazy-ace blue states."

Sidenote: I HATE how this forum has nested quotes. annoying to have to remove my own quote from within the quotes of others, in order to not create a huge quote box. :evil:
hamster--
Send a message

Post by hamster--
Everyone likes finding a scapegoat. Phones are to blame for every crash, video games for every shooting...I'll continue to do what I want in my personal vehicle. I don't see them banning talking to a passenger in the car about complicated topics that distract you. Don't see eating while driving getting banned either. So, whatever...it all makes no sense to me.
hamster--
Send a message

Post by harling
cougargt wrote:California has always been on the bleeding edge...
Or the bleating edge, as the case may be.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by kentsmith9
This is a typical case of the media blowing the truth out of proportion. If you read the actual court document, you will find:
Sup. Ct. Appeal No. 0002345 wrote:Officer Jack Graham and appellant each testified that, while driving, appellant was cited for looking at a map on his cellular phone while holding the phone in his hand.
Frankly at that point holding the phone in your hand is no where near having it mounted on the dash.

There was additional comments at the end of the document that relate to "other things" your hands operate in the car that are equally distracting, but not currently illegal to perform while driving. Think about the dozens of knobs and switches in the car that you periodically take your eyes off the road to adjust or view. Also, think about all the built in navigation systems that permit touching while driving (excluding entering addresses) and for dash mounted versions as well.

My take is that because he was "holding it in his hands" he clearly violated the spirit of the law and that is what the document says. If it is mounted and you happen to touch the screen (not entering an address or typing a description of a map error), there is no difference from doing the same with dash mounted or in-dash GPS devices.

However, given that I have already been pulled over for having a damn phone at my ear as I pulled up to a stop light with a copy on the other corner, I will certain be more than cautious touching anything on my dash when I see a Cop reported ahead. :mrgreen:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message