Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Re: Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby Nacron » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 am

Twister_UK wrote:
foxitrot wrote:
Twister_UK wrote: So even if the price data gets reset after x days of staying at the same values no matter how often those values are confimed, surely all the points-fanatics will just have to enter new prices every x days and then continue confirming them as at present until the next x day timeout, then enter new price again and continue...
... and the problem of points-fanatics being able to earn points by confirming non-existent prices would be resolved without any means for them to work around it in the client.

I understand the problem with flakey ghost copies of GS in the DB. But I think that these points-fanatics would not bother entering some guessed prices, if the fields were empty.

I don't quite share your optimism here - given the lengths some users will go to in collecting points at the expense of data integrity, I'm not sure having to make up a price (they'd only need to fake the price for one fuel type in order to "earn" their 8 points, making it even easier than the genuine user who goes to the trouble of correctly updating several fuel type prices to earn the same points) a handful of times a month would be much of a disincentive.

To be honest, given that it is only 8 points/station, and given that there aren't all that many ghost stations in the db, I don't think it's worth expending much effort on changing the behaviour of price entry/confirmation just to stop some users picking up a few extra points each day from ghost stations - better for the Waze programmers to concentrate on resolving the problem which is allowing these ghosts to remain in the db in the first place.

The typical top 3 users in Hawaii DO NOT edit the map. They get points purely from gas reporting

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | 4.3 MJ4 | Waze 3.7.7.0 Official
[Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Lanai, Hawaii Island, Molokai] Hawaii Area Manager
Nacron
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby olestas » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 am

Also please add option to select which fuel my car uses, so I do not get unneeded fuel types.

P.S. OOps, did not see it changed my waze client :D
Last edited by olestas on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
olestas

Postby olestas » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:10 am

Cannot enter prices in Latvia.. says that price is not correct :D And there is automatically number 9 at the end, which is stupid.
olestas

Postby olestas » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:12 am

I do not see prices too (Latvia).
olestas

Postby olestas » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 am

Oh yes it is. And now some started to appear.
olestas

Postby olestas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Create as many gas stations in country as possible, send developers list with most brands of stations and fuel types, price form and currency.
olestas

Postby olestas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:56 am

Just tried to enter prices for some different stations in Latvia. Gas price still not valid. But now it allow to enter all numbers, no more automatic 9 at the end. Does not help though :D

Stations:
ID: 266294
ID: 266295
ID: 281259
olestas

Postby olestas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Try setting problematic stations prices to N/A for a day, and next day try normal price again.
olestas

Postby olestas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:28 am

Actually, you have to start from first fuel box, and press NEXT if you agree with price or do not want to alter it. I tried pressing the box I want to alter, but it did not work that way. Thats what the NEXT button is there for.
olestas

Postby olestas » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm

How will the map look if more paid ads appear simultaneously? Will we be able to disable this or somehow limit? I am afraid that map will be unusable and laggy.
olestas

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App