Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Annying speed camera popups

Post by ascent
Hi guys,

I find the speed camera verification popup frequency quite annoying. Every day I get the same old confirmation "camera not there" whilst travelling to/from work.

Would it be possible to limit each camera verification to once a week. If the "status quo" has changed then ask more people for verification to confirm the truth.

With that in mind, we should have a "yes its there" button (now shut up for another week).

Cheers guys.
ascent

POSTER_ID:8258111

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It's not a popup specifically to gather data on whether the camera is there or not. It's not about camera verification. The primary purpose is to alert you to the fact that the camera is there at all. Waze gives you the option, as a secondary function, to report that the camera doesn't actually exist.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
ascent wrote:The thing is, its a sort of map editing feature, and the only one built into the waze app.
I think you're correct. It is the only app function which can have an immediate effect on the state map tile data. I think that there needs to be some more thought put around this functionality, both in terms of what's presented to the user, and what happens on the back-end. Personally I'd like to see the "Not There" simply open a Map Issue report rather than potentially disable the camera right away. There also need to be more granular settings on the app to control popups/alerts/sounds for different types of events/reports, etc.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Use the verbal nav guidance and you shouldn't have to look at the screen. Plenty of motorcyclists use Waze zipped up in a pocket.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Speed cams always popup. Verbal alert when exceeding the limit. These cannot be changed in the app settings.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The next version of the app will be more reliable with these alerts.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by ascent
Oh I see. Thanks for the reply.

The thing is, its a sort of map editing feature, and the only one built into the waze app.

Maybe it should just do bong sound & do a radar flash of the camera in question. Then leave reporting or editing via normal methods like anything else in waze.

Then again perhaps I'm the only one that it annoys. :roll:
ascent
Send a message

Post by danrspen
These popups drive me nuts; the blue radar flash on the map is enough.

I've missed turnings several times because of these popups hiding the road. Leaning over my dash to try and hit the close button while keeping my eyes on the road and figure out where my turning is often verging on dangerous.

It's bad enough to make me consider moving to a different GPS. If Google Maps (iOS) had a decent implementation of favorite places I'd of switched just to avoid the speed camera popups!
danrspen
Send a message
Last edited by danrspen on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by danrspen
Not really the ideal solution.

There's plenty of places in my city (Leeds, UK) with complex junctions where "stay right", "turn left" could be easily misinterpreted. I generally run Waze with the sound off and use the on screen map.

I've discovered an option to turn off speed cameras in the settings, hopefully that will disable the popups; I'll find out on my way home tonight. Again not ideal as it means I won't see any speed camera information, but better than having the map obscured by the popups constantly.

For reference, this is the number of speed cameras on one of the roads I drive. You can see why the popups rapidly become a problem.

http://s11.postimg.org/ig89s2pvn/photo.jpg
danrspen
Send a message

Post by danrspen
sketch wrote:Make it an option if anything though. I like the reminders. And I certainly don't want them to time out until I am good and clear of them.
Agreed it should be an option, I can see why some people would like it. Especially in areas where speed cameras aren't as pervasive as they are around here.

I'm tempted to take a clone of the git repo and do myself a build without the speed camera popups!
danrspen
Send a message