Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by fvwazing
Automatic recognition is the way to go; all necessary data can be extracted from driving patterns. Editing a light at a crossing does not help; the editor should provide Waze with the "phasing" of the light as well. 10 seconds red/50 seconds green is better than 30 seconds/30 seconds; but depending on traffic density a 60 second/60 second phasing could be better...

Waze could, if equipped with the right algorithms and enough data, bring this down to an accurate prediction of time spent on consecutive roadsegments. Having the lights on the map does not help in accuracy, only raises the complexity for the editors, of which there are far too few anyway. Besides, I know of crossings with 30 to 40 lights working in concert. Good luck editing that AND expecting a better accuracy than by recognition (which alas is not done by Waze - yet).
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
it would not be necessary to record trafficlights or tedious turns if Waze learned speeds of segments taking into account the next segment traversed.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Great to hear that it now works that way!
fvbommel wrote:
bgodette wrote:However I agree with Jason in that it would be really helpful if we could mark certain turns as "legal, but a really bad idea" as a hint to the routing server. With enough historical data, this isn't a problem, but there's a catch-22 in that the majority of users have more than air filling the space between their ears and will not take a clearly bad route and Waze will take a very long time collecting that data.
Well, if users fairly consistently ignore Waze's suggestion to take a certain turn (optionally: at a certain time of day), shouldn't that also be pretty interesting data? :)
In the past, I have conducted tests that seem to suggest that Waze DOES use that. The preference for a turn WAS decremented to the point where it simply would not get suggested anymore. Because I ignored the turn on consecutive days around the same time the turn was not suggested at that time of day for some time after... But I did that test as we still had daily updates, currently the lag in the system makes this... different. Also, it could be that ONE wazer using an often ignored turn resets all negative preference.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by gerben
My thoughts exactly. Over here most intersections on major roads are H or # shaped. And those are typically the intersections with lights.

Way to complicated to get this working good.
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by jasonh300
Having done a lot of editing around Los Angeles,!i think it would be a good idea to be able to mark uncontrolled left turns.

There are a lot of places where a left turn is technically legal but impossible most of the time due to traffic.

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by libora
I think, that Ajaydkulkarni mean show crossroads/road junctions with and without traffic lights in client
libora
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
HTC EVO 3D a Waze 3.6.0 for Android
Informace pro editory, Přehledné video v angličtině

Post by libora
Atlas85: yes, every traffic light would destroy cartouche, but I think that info in junction if this one is with traffic light (Yes/Not) is adequate.
On other hand I think we need more others (and more more important) infos in waze - e.g. speed limit on each segment, number of lines in each directions etc.
libora
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
HTC EVO 3D a Waze 3.6.0 for Android
Informace pro editory, Přehledné video v angličtině

Post by nnote
I think it would be a huge project, but I think it would be nice to have waze now where traffic lights are.
There's one place particular I go the waze sends me down a certain street, which is fine, but I need to turn left at the next street which is a major junction without a light. I always skip this and go to the next street where I can turn left at a light where it's much safer.
It would make since for waze to route you left only at intersections (at major roads atleast) where there is a traffic light
nnote
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
USA Territories Regional Coordinator : USA Champ : L6 State Manager Arizona

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/6b/W ... _0M_6c.png

Waze Arizona Twitter

Post by QuickOK
Could you elaborate a bit more on this? I don't understand.
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
How would this enhance voice routing? Something like "At the traffic light, turn right."? How would this proposed inclusion be depicted? A bunch of pins or dots just doesn't appeal to me at every intersection that has a light.

Just saying...
QuickOK
Send a message