Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Phantom Speed Cameras

Post by karl_db
Somebody is putting Speed Cameras on the app that are just not there. Three cameras have appeared in Dublin: Aston Quay, Victoria Quay and N11 at Mount Merrion Avenue. There are definitely NO fixed cameras at these locations.

This sort of false reporting makes a mockery of the Waze app (in a cry wolf way).

Perhaps as an alternative, we could highlight "Known Areas of REGULAR Garda activity," such as the N11 at Belfield, The O2 Point Depot, Victoria Quay at Guinness, Merchants Quay etc. Obviously a different symbol on the app would be needed for this, and then passing Wazers could get a pop-up asking them if the checkpoint is there today.
karl_db

POSTER_ID:13346532

Send a message

Post by arthurohara
Hi,

In early April I queried the National Roads Authority on the use of fixed speed cameras in Ireland. I re-contacted them again today and stuck with it until I could ascertain some facts.

I was comprehensively assured that there are now no 'fixed speed cameras' in use in Ireland. About twenty old ones are left onsite where they were once operated.

It appears now that until Waze takes this further and provides a suitable resource in the client for dealing with mobile safety camera locations in Ireland we are at variance with some soundly established guidelines.

Perhaps we should adhere to this:

1. Temporary mobile, portable speed camera operations should NEVER be reported in the client or added to the map.

2. Non-permanent speed operations should be reported as a Police Hazard.

Please discuss!

Reporting any of those unused twenty or so unemployed cameras as fakes would also be a useless exercise.

Have we any experts among our users who could make a serious logical submission, following discussion to Waze on the provision of a suitable client function for the Irish situation. :idea:

The speed cameras referred to in the first post on this thread have been deleted. I think it is safe to say all recorded should be deleted accordingly.

Waze! For the common good - out there on the road!

Sincerely,
arthurohara
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Arthur O Hara
Local Champ
Country Manager Ireland
https://eb1rhs
Waze Ireland Twitter @WazeIreland
[url]https:///cF4Rje[/url]

Friend Me Facebook http://goo.gl/o2fjOI
Google Earth Imagery Updates: [url]https:///CIYBsn[/url]

Post by davidg666
There's another thread about speed cameras in the Ireland forum right now:

https://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 19&t=45364

...summary: I don't think we have many fixed speed cameras (although I'm open to being corrected on that one) and the Garda page listing the mobile speed camera vans just shows stretches of road (sometimes quite long) where a speed camera van *might* be found. I think there are various different opinions about what speed cameras we should have on the Waze map; one opinion is to have a camera on the map in places where there are often speed checks, but there's an argument against that that says people will get annoyed if they keep getting speed camera warnings and then seeing that there's no camera.

A different symbol and/or warning in the app would be nice, although I can't imagine this would be changed any time soon.

[minor edit: fixed typo: missing 's' in one word]

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
arthurohara wrote:In early April I queried the National Roads Authority on the use of fixed speed cameras in Ireland. I re-contacted them again today and stuck with it until I could ascertain some facts.

I was comprehensively assured that there are now no 'fixed speed cameras' in use in Ireland. About twenty old ones are left onsite where they were once operated.
Good work!
arthurohara wrote:Perhaps we should adhere to this:

1. Temporary mobile, portable speed camera operations should NEVER be reported in the client or added to the map.

2. Non-permanent speed operations should be reported as a Police Hazard.

Please discuss!
This sounds good to me - mainly because it makes life easier for us editors - we can just delete any speed cameras we see reported, no matter where they are.

I expect many users of the app are going to report cameras all over the place - as happens all over the world - just because they see something that looks like a speed camera, or because they see a Garda speed check or a camera van, and reporting a camera through the app is quite easy. I doubt many users come here to the forum anyway. There seems to be some pressure on Waze to make it less easy to report speed cameras - maybe to have them like a map issue instead, so that they don't get reported so readily.

There are a couple of ambiguous places where we'll probably get more reports: a couple of places on the M50 have calibration lines painted on the road that the older Gatso cameras used, but there aren't actually any cameras here, and there is some kind of camera at the east end of the Con Colbert Road in Dublin that looks similar to some kinds of red light camera in the UK. I have no idea what this is used for, but it must be maintained since it was replaced a year or so ago. Maybe it's just used to gather evidence in investigation of accidents at this junction. I noticed earlier today that somebody's reported a red light camera at this location - again. (Somebody deleted its predecessor a couple of weeks ago).

Thanks Arthur, and thanks Karl for starting the discussion.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by karl_db
These are grey in colour, and I see since my post yesterday that another one has been added on Arran Quay. How can I establish who put them there and how can they be removed please?
karl_db
Send a message

Post by karl_db
Thanks txtme. Appreciate your help.
karl_db
Send a message

Post by karl_db
Thanks Arthur.
karl_db
Send a message

Post by txemt
If they're brown, they're not added to the app, you can delete them. If they're being added as "approved", then find out who's doing it, and report them to your CM.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
Click on the camera and the person who approved it should pop up toward the bottom of the info for that camera. I'm a US CM, with zero access to the world, so I can't look at it or help you out. If it's been set by a level higher than you, then you'll have to ask your CM for help. If they're the same level as you, you can just delete it.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
I did forward this to an Ireland CM.
txemt
Send a message