Converting gas station venues to landmarks [US]

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Converting gas station venues to landmarks [US]

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:42 am

The "new" gas station landmarks are not showing the expanded properties (Name, Address, Brand, Phone Number) that are available on the International Server (See in item #7 on http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Gas_station#Add_a_station_.28currently_applies_only_for_world_server.29).

Example New Station: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat=41.82994&lon=-72.73506&layers=BTTFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFTT&landmarks=712460

Example Old Station (not changed at all): https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat=41.29328&lon=-72.92139&layers=BTTFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFTT&landmarks=519945

it looks like we're going to have to do a lot of Gas Station work in the US based on the what I see in the New Station example above... Aside from the missing properties, the Name is in ALL CAPS, and we're going to have to resize them so they cover the stations correctly.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Converting gas station venues to landmarks [US]

Postby CBenson » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Ahh, I see some new ones now. https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-76.97 ... TTTTTTTTFT
What happens to gas stations in the database if we delete the landmark because the station doesn't actually exist?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby shirlig » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi guys,

Gas stations in the US have been uploaded to the editor and they are now available as landmarks.
The idea is that gas stations will now behave in the US the same way they behave in the INTL server.

A few answers:
1) We tried to merge the duplicate gas stations but if you still see duplicate gas stations - please delete the ones that don't contain info in it (the added gas stations are usually in uppercase, have phone numbers,address, etc ).
2) Until we fix something in the server side - gas stations added by users as landmarks will not always be available in the client. We are working on it and it will be available soon.
3) In a few hours, you will also be able to select the brand of the station from a list. We know this list is not complete and we will add/remove brands as required during the upcoming weeks.
4) We highly recommend NOT to delete the gas stations that we integrated (usually their names appear in uppercase, they contain data like phone number, address etc) to the map because we will also lose automatic update of prices from the external resource. (You can edit their details, just don't delete them)
4) We will add brands to Canada in the upcoming days as well.

thanks,
Shirli
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Okay, so I've been finding ones that are new on the map, and they show as a tiny little square that is only visible at the closest zoom levels (they disappear at the 100m/500ft zoom level, but then again, all gas stations seem to disappear at that level). Not a big problem...just move them over the proper location and stretch so it will show up on the client in the correct place.

In this permalink, there is a station already there, a Discount Zone. The Waze imported gas station says AMES DISCOUNT, which may be the formal name of the station across the street to the west, but isn't on a sign anywhere. The actual location it's showing doesn't have a gas station at all. Just a little cigarette store with a completely different name, so I"m assuming it has to be a duplicate of the gas station. One is going to have to be deleted, but which?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... rks=711209
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:02 pm

This should be moved to the US forum.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gohamstergo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:11 pm

shirlig stated that we should not delete stations they integrated. What about stations that have recently closed? Can I safely delete that and it will be removed from the database? EDIT: CBenson already stated this question.

Also, I have not yet found one with the "address" entered. What is the proper format for addresses in that box? Or should we wait for them to appear as they should have?..
Last edited by gohamstergo on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gohamstergo

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:16 pm

What about Gas Station Landmarks that were pre-existing? Like these two https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat=41.73703&lon=-72.65971&layers=BTTFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFTT that I created back in May in anticipation of this change? Were they updated to link to the Gas Price System?
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:17 pm

AndyPoms wrote:What about Gas Station Landmarks that were pre-existing? Like these two https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat=41.73703&lon=-72.65971&layers=BTTFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFTT that I created back in May in anticipation of this change? Were they updated to link to the Gas Price System?

This and similar questions, such as what I posted in the other thread, are what we need to provide guidance to editors on.

I'll keep my comments in this thread now, for easier reference.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Is anyone noticing that the ALL CAPS (added) stations do not have City/State info? I've found two, but unsure if this is to be expected.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:27 pm

AndyPoms wrote:What about Gas Station Landmarks that were pre-existing? Like these two https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat=41.73703&lon=-72.65971&layers=BTTFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFTT that I created back in May in anticipation of this change? Were they updated to link to the Gas Price System?

Some of them did, and were obvious because the name changed to ALL CAPS and in some cases, the name changed completely.

Others, specifically ones with simple names like Exxon and Shell (among others) didn't change at all.

Also, none of the new stations have City/State info.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to United States