Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Converting gas station venues to landmarks [US]

Post by AndyPoms
The "new" gas station landmarks are not showing the expanded properties (Name, Address, Brand, Phone Number) that are available on the International Server (See in item #7 on http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Gas_ ... _server.29).

Example New Station: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... rks=712460

Example Old Station (not changed at all): https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... rks=519945

it looks like we're going to have to do a lot of Gas Station work in the US based on the what I see in the New Station example above... Aside from the missing properties, the Name is in ALL CAPS, and we're going to have to resize them so they cover the stations correctly.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:4797498

Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This should be moved to the US forum.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AndyPoms wrote:What about Gas Station Landmarks that were pre-existing? Like these two https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTFTT that I created back in May in anticipation of this change? Were they updated to link to the Gas Price System?
This and similar questions, such as what I posted in the other thread, are what we need to provide guidance to editors on.

I'll keep my comments in this thread now, for easier reference.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Is anyone noticing that the ALL CAPS (added) stations do not have City/State info? I've found two, but unsure if this is to be expected.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Many non-brand chains like Fred Meyer, Kroger, Costco, etc., likely get their fuels from multiple refineries and brands, and even the same station will get different brand fuels at different times. I think it'd be best if these are just listed as unbranded.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Mattiedale wrote:Sorry, sometimes you got to hit me with a sledge hammer, but, is the name is all upper case, convert it or not?
Follow the guidelines posted.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:* Are we changing the all caps name to title case, or do we leave it all caps to track it was an imported landmark?
* If converting to title case, do we want to do anything to track it was imported?
1. Yes, that is my understanding and what I've written in the guidelines post.
2. I don't know. But does it, in the end, matter? Just like ROTW, eventually, all gas station landmarks imported or added manually, will be available in the app for updating pricing.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:I spend an incredible amount of time on Waze and I still can barely even touch the surface of all the threads in the forums. :?
FASTER! :mrgreen:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Sketch, what you're suggesting is not how u have understood how we are doing gas stations at all. In most cases the brand and name match. Maybe we missed this in the guidance thread?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:... and it seemed to make the most sense to me that stations where the forecourt and store are separately, but prominently, branded should have the store name in the Name field and the pumps name in the Brand field. This wouldn't apply to stores with generic- or brand-specific names (like Shell's "Food Mart" or Exxon's "Tiger Mart") but to things like Exxon / Circle K, or Shell / Dave's Travel Plaza.
I think I need more info about how these fields are used/not used in the app search/station display before deciding. If I search for gas and it comes up showing "Johnsons' Food Stop" and I only want to go to a Chevron or Shell, then I'd not consider that entry because I don't know what it is. Even though it is a Shell, I can't tell that from the app right now. That's why I feel those should be named after the Brand as Shell, not the store name.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message