This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I agree. So, now we need to change documentations....

And the change is near instantaneous. I had the app running, saved a gas station down the street from me. And I tapped report gas prices after less then 10s and the station was there.

Now, how quickly do they disappear?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Now, how quickly do they disappear?
Looks like once you exit the app and come back, it's gone. I checked after 1 minute and the app still showed a deleted station. Once I restarted the app, it no longer appeared in the search.

This is cool. But also another avenue for people to cheat app-based points by adding a bunch of bogus stations. There's a time-factor, but they could still add dozens around their work and home and update a few every hour. And, yes, if it can be done, some people will do this.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
doomedtx wrote:I had a landmark there back when they didn't count. When Waze said we could edit NA gas stations, I deleted my landmark and moved the incorrect admin landmark from its position ~.5 miles east. Months later the client still offers to send me to the incorrect location when I search for gas. When I'm actually at the station, I'm too far away to update prices.
Search results for gas stations which were previously imported is different than new ones being added. i do believe that search result location is still incorrect for those imported stations. And I don't think we should be deleting them to try and fix the incorrect search location.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
doomedtx wrote:... isn't the point of Waze helping others find where the stuff I know about is located? :)
Totally agree, and we've not yet been able to get any info out of Waze directly as to when this will be fixed. Frustrating.
doomedtx wrote:*AOTB, if I see another vehicle with a big GPS sticker park next to me there, I'll know it's you stalking me!
It's just two Waze window clings. But close. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:Perhaps this is related to the broken landmark search we discovered last month?
Actually, in the cases I presented, I did end up being able to find the "missing" ones, but I think I had to specify city. I can't quite remember, but Shirli and I emailed about it. It's been a while. Too many parallel topics... :oops:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Good you fixed that Unbranded at the top. "Backlick Rd" ? :lol:

Two identical-looking stations here? https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... rks=723056

The data should fully populate. Not sure why it isn't. We haven't been able to nail down much in the way of Gas Station issues like actual location of the search result pin not matching the landmark, address problems, and we figured out on our own the "don't use Unbranded" in the list thing...

I feel it is about time to make an official wiki page on gas stations in the US.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:So what's the status of the discrepancies between the location of a station in WME and the location in the gas station database? Why do locations remain incorrect for stations that are correctly located in WME.
I also did a check last week and found the same issue. If I'm not mistaken, this would be for stations which were not created in WME, but were imported, correct?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:I guess this "import" (or whatever it is?) wasn't a one-time thing? What is the status of the link between Waze and this third-party provider?
It was supposed to be one time, yes.

The gas category search used to just search the previously invisible gas stations in Waze. Then they made these visible in the editor as landmarks. That should still be all that we see in the app. However, I suppose it is possible that Waze has made more changes to the app search mechanism to bring in other results. If you go to update gas prices, how many Costco gas stations appear?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't be locking all gas station landmarks at a level 3?
May be a good idea.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
After my tests over the last two days show that 80% of gas station locations are incorrect (by the landmark location in the editor) in the Category search in the app, I submitted https://bugs.waze.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5956.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message