Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Hands Free in UK - Waze for iPhone 3.1

Post by dbinco
I would love to use this feature in the UK, but I have read that for whatever reason I have read that this feature would not be activated for users outside of the US & Canada.

What is the reason for this? Is it due to accent recognition?
dbinco

POSTER_ID:5327838

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dbinco wrote:I'm just wanting to know if this is the reason for this feature being locked, or if there is another explanation?
I honestly haven't heard why. For the spoken street names navigation guidance, it makes some sense due to server infrastructure differences. But for what appears to be a client-side only function, I don't understand it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by dbinco
TheBuca wrote:I'm sure it can recognize anything english :lol:
Siri sometimes has difficulty understanding me, so it is a valid problem.
[youtube][/youtube]

I'm just wanting to know if this is the reason for this feature being locked, or if there is another explanation?
dbinco
Send a message

Post by DJChalky
Is still can't get this to work in newer versions. Is it still US only?
DJChalky
Send a message

Post by purpsicle
I've been trying to get this to work too for reporting jams etc. I'm using 3.6.0.0 in the UK. I tried the help feature and asked the question and it says that it's currently only available in the US and Canada, and shows that there's a voice activation item in the settings menu which is clearly absent on my iphone App.
Let's hope it's coming soon, as I would say that it's a rather crucial feature...
purpsicle
Send a message

Post by thebuca
dbinco wrote:What is the reason for this? Is it due to accent recognition?
I think the US has pretty large range of accents. If it can figure out Brooklyn, Jersey, Kentucky, California and Canadian I'm sure it can recognize anything english :lol:
thebuca
Send a message
Area Manager: South Central Pennsylvania - Harrisburg, Carlisle, York
iPhone 4 / iPad 2 / iOS 5