If you think you've found a bug on the website which isn't specifically an App or Map Editor problem, or have a request for new or modified feature of the Community, Forums, or Waze website, use this forum.

Danger Areas

Post by davethepitt
I was reading this story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22193472

And it got me thinking of a possible route forward. Essentially a company has a list of the 100 accident blackspots for cyclists in London. They put this into their Sat-Navs and when lorries approach these "danger areas" it warns them.

This is a smart idea. We all lose a bit of concentration behind the wheel sometimes so imagine if Waze told us as we were approaching danger areas. That would be very useful.

Of course the issue would be getting that data. Obviously this company got it from somewhere and is licensing it but could there be a way of Waze users marking the map to say, "Danger Area" or "Accident Blackspot"? There might have to be a set of guidelines on what constitutes that but it could make things much safer for all of us. There may even be a central resource of this data in the hands of the Home Office that we can make use of.
davethepitt

POSTER_ID:7056139

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Danger Zone is already a landmark type. We could set them all in the editor. ;)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Winky, Andy, ;)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Danger Zone is already a landmark type. We could set them all in the editor. ;)
Yea, except they don't do anything (i.e. trigger an alert) - Landmarks (except for Gas Stations) are just a big colored blob on the map...

Also, how would we determine what is a "Accident Hot Spot"? We can't just take the copyrighted data from another company.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by CBenson
It would seem to me that the best way for Waze to determine accident hotspots would be to look at the locations where the most accidents have been reported by wazers.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Scruffy151
CBenson wrote:It would seem to me that the best way for Waze to determine accident hotspots would be to look at the locations where the most accidents have been reported by wazers.
This sounds like a good idea to me. I have also seen it mentioned with regards to police reports.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message