Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Two cities with the same name gets connected.

Post by MartinMossfeldt
Hi.
A few days ago I started to map an small city, adding street names and city.
After a few days I could see that my city got A name, unfortunately it's now connected with anoter place with the same name a long way from here.

Here is a Permlink to the City I am working with
https://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom= ... FFFFFFTTTT

And here is a permlink of the other place also named Råda
https://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom= ... FFFFFFTTTT

As you can see there is a long way between these two places and they have nothing in common except the city name.

My Question now is, how do I separate these two places?
MartinMossfeldt

POSTER_ID:786200

Send a message

Post by krankyd
hi and welcome.
currently cities can be joined only when a member of the waze team does it on the back-end. There's no automated process.
As you might know, we are still having problems with the display of provinces, states, counties etc... which is why two cities with the same name are not allowed on our maps.
For this reason, we currently recommend people to name their city 'Alphaville, county A' and 'Alphaville, county B'. Once we have full support for the counties, in the DB and in the cartouche, you will be able to better city the full tree (sometime there's a neighborhood in a city in a province in a county... and so forth).

As for your city, it's possible that someone asked me to merge them and I did. If this was a mistake, I apologize, but I cannot reverse it. If you do create a new city, make sure to add some kind of identifier after the city name, to differentiate it from the other cities with the same name in your country.

thansk
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by MartinMossfeldt
First of all thanx alot for your answers.

It seems that there are several options for me here then, first one is to do nothing as things will get sorted once other cities between the 2 places gets there name and thus separating the two.

Second option is for me to take an more active role in this to "cut" the line between the both cities.
I have found a city that lies between and i will try to get a hold of someone that is working on the maps there so hopefully this will get sorted soon.

As far as I know Sweden has no base map, atleast there is a lot of roads missing.

Once again, thank you for your answers.
MartinMossfeldt
Send a message

Post by Mozstar
I have this problem in my area, Between Sudbury, Suffolk and Sudbury in London (50 Miles long)
And grey finger crosses my area from Ramsey (Essex) to Ramsey (Cambs)

Although it is fairly easy to live with, it can be annoying because...

if this shaded area is over your area, any new roads will get labelled with the offending city name and so the the grey area grows even more...

Also if you drive within the grey area with the Waze Client App you will have the alien city name keep appearing in random places...

These are all pretty much cosmetic and small annoyances...

but if the two city names are left identical it can lead to bad navagation
Mozstar
Send a message
Area Manager: Sudbury, Suffolk, UK

Post by rlpl
Mozstar wrote: if this shaded area is over your area, any new roads will get labelled with the offending city name and so the the grey area grows even more...
It seems to me that the new roads are not labeled with any city name permanently. Instead, the city name appears only if you start editing the road in Cartouche. Few times I have renamed the cities to correct and/or split their boundaries and I have seen that the city names of the newly recorded roads change automagically according to the changes of the grey areas. Even if you change the city boundaries long after recording the road--but obviously not after you edit it in Cartouche. This would mean that the new roads do not make the grey area grow and will get fixed as soon as you fix the edited roads.

Am I right or wrong? Support, please respond!
rlpl
Send a message
My previous login name was rl_pl.

Post by waynemcdougall
1. I don't think it does any harm to have those two places joined? Do you?

2. It's automatic based on the city names associated with roads. So you can't change it, except by changing he city names associated with roads.

3. It will fix itself if the roads in between get names with a city. For example 26 in between the two cities has no city name associated with it. Correcting that will help.

4. As the map gets completed and all roads have a city or district associated with them, these problems will go away.
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall

Post by waynemcdougall
Those are good points.

1. I believe Sweden has a base map grid so no new roads are being plotted, but I could be wrong.

2. I was under the impression that the two places did have the same name. If that's not correct, then fix the street with the wrong name.

3. But maybe it's just one giant area with only one major city. In which case you'd want to associate all the primary roads in the area with that city. The city name will be central on the city itself. If the city name does also apply to the district you would want the city name to appear on the map as you drive through the area. Good for us out of towners.

4. It comes back to the main problem of too many streets in Sweden with no city name. Fix that, and it will be resolved.
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall