Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Important: new behavior of cities with no streets attached

Post by krankyd
As you probably know, at this moment no map editor is allowed to delete a full city.
Since we had a few different ways to work in the past (for example, Roma used to be called 'Roma, Italy', etc), there are some duplicate cities in our system.

Another problem is that city names were case sensitive and so ROMA and Roma were two different cities. Since city names are no longer case sensitive, all the cities with duplicate names (as now ROMA = Roma) get the infamous 'more than one city match' error.
If you get a 'more than one city match' on your city, just write an email to alpha@waze.com with the city name and country, and we'll fix it for you.

Another scenario that was recently fixed concerns cities that no longer have streets attached to them. For example, one mapper could have search for all the streets that belong to 'Roma, Italy' and change them to the new city called 'Roma'. In this case, the city of 'Roma, Italy' would still exist and show on the map, even though it had no streets that belong to it.
We've now fixed it so the city (Roma, Italy) still exists in our DB, but will no longer appear on the maps. You will see it as one of the options when you enter the (correct) city name in the cartouche. To fix this problem - which is less urgent as editing is allowed - just send us an email with the old name and the new name (and the country), and we'll fix it right away, to avoid a situation where a different user starts mapping streets to the wrong city again...

thank you all for your patience
krankyd

POSTER_ID:84

Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by Atlas85
I hope you guys make a more efficient and intelligent system for this. For instance, that a city called Gennep and Gennep (Limburg) are actually the same, or that a city called Son en Breugel can not be in place A and in Place B simultaneously, with a 30km distance between them…
So it would indeed be great if we (AM’s & high-ranked users) could edit the database sort of ourselves, so that all double cities are removed or all linked to 1 city and thus not appearing more than once on the map.
Atlas85
Send a message

Post by brummygit
Thanks for this post - it's very useful.

I'm also finding that in the UK I come across many other problems where I have naming which doesn't comply with the agreed standard:

<city> (<county>) but is instead just <city>

This is leading to a mix of city names for the same city. It would be great if a facility could be made available (maybe only to selected area managers) to allow searching of the database for city names, and then mass edits of so that city names can be aligned easily.

Thanks
brummygit
Send a message
Previous Waze username hodgetts

UK • iPhone 4 • Area Manager for South Staffordshire, Wolverhampton, Tamworth, West Midlands and M6 corridor

Post by unwallflower
Zirland wrote:
Atlas85 wrote:I hope you guys make a more efficient and intelligent system for this. For instance, that a city called Gennep and Gennep (Limburg) are actually the same, or that a city called Son en Breugel can not be in place A and in Place B simultaneously, with a 30km distance between them…
So it would indeed be great if we (AM’s & high-ranked users) could edit the database sort of ourselves, so that all double cities are removed or all linked to 1 city and thus not appearing more than once on the map.
I definitely support this idea.
I'd like to disagree in a friendly way. I think that a more intelligent system is a must, obviously (can't think of any way that would be a bad idea, lol).

However, the thought of ANY users being able to edit the database makes me cringe. Too much margin for error, in my opinion. I don't think that could end well.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by Zirland
Atlas85 wrote:I hope you guys make a more efficient and intelligent system for this. For instance, that a city called Gennep and Gennep (Limburg) are actually the same, or that a city called Son en Breugel can not be in place A and in Place B simultaneously, with a 30km distance between them…
I definitely support this idea.
Zirland
Send a message
"The Wazebrity"