Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

How to handle - Road Bulb/Bulge/Wart

Post by todd_g
Okay - I have a question about how to handle a road deviation that is like a court but not a court. (This may be addressed elsewhere but my search terms didn't hit upon it)

Best example I can find is here - (https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-76.14 ... s=51945327)

This is Willimantic Court immediately south of Willimantic Dr, and the Wart/Bulb/Bulge north of Willimantic Dr properly has no name unless that name is Willimantic Dr.

The attached picture is the same area in one of the City of Virginia Beach apps and demonstrates how we handle these locally.
4-26-2013 3-19-50 PM.jpg
CVB Example
(109.69 KiB) Downloaded 1551 times
Is there a Waze standard for these features?

Should there be a street segment extending into the Wart/Bulb/Bulge or not?

Should the segment carry a name if so?
todd_g

POSTER_ID:13737797

Send a message
Todd G

Virginia Beach, VA (like where else would it be?)

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:I know that I'm in the minority on how to provide these types of instructions and that different people like their instructions in different forms. But, if it were me, my guidance would be functional - draw in the street if a turn instruction would help a driver routed to a location on the street, if turn instruction would not help a driver don't draw the street. Then maybe provide the physical parameters as guidance to where a turn instruction is likely to be helpful.
Question: In the case of a road named "Jefferson Way" with a T-intersection connecting to a very short 50 ft road called the same "Jefferson Way", does the routing engine give a turn instruction to that short road given all the segment names are the same? If not, then this would only be for visual reference (which might be enough to help someone). If yes, then you get two clues (visual and TTS).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:My understanding is that yes for a T intersection (or anytime the angle of deflection is over 45 degrees) the routing engine will give a turn instruction.
But only if the junction is more than one exit direction, e.g., a right turn at an "L" that has a junction and not just a node, does not give a right-turn instruction even at 45-90 degrees. Correct?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
OK. One other visual example similar to the original, but this one has a bulb appearance, but does not have a separate street name.
RiverParkCirStockton.png
(884.32 KiB) Downloaded 1130 times
According to Zillow these 5 homes are addressed on River Park Circle, which is the primary road around them. I believe we have determined that if someone actually drew in a street and named it River Park Circle, nothing would happen negatively, but people might feel better that there is a court looking road here and the Waze map would show it, and the TTS would announce it.

I think the only possible confusion might be that the user is on River Park Circle and then they get a turn indication for River Park Circle, but no street sign will match that instruction. I don't think that is bad enough to not map it though.

So if our Wiki instructions are as listed above I think we are safe regardless if these small bumps are mapped or not.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Mike-1323
Since all the addresses are the main road I'd not map it at all.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by ncc1701v
Rather than an absolute distance, how about "draw in the road if it has two or more houses/buildings"?

I would also add to draw it in if it gets close to a different road it is not attached to.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by razor2k
I would put a stub there and name it. If it was only one house I wouldn't. Others may disagree?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
razor2k
Send a message
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual

Post by razor2k
Mike-1323 wrote:Since all the addresses are the main road I'd not map it at all.

I'd generally agree but as Alan brought up, if it's say,more than 50 feet from the main street...I'd argue that drivers (not familiar with the area) would have to be "led" there.

Not disagreeing with you..just bringing up a counterpoint.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
razor2k
Send a message
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual

Post by sketch
I would say if 1528 and 1524 are not visible 150 feet from the intersection when approaching from either side, it's far enough to draw the road. We don't wanna catch users off guard.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by todd_g
Okay - More or less, the consensus is if the segment is greater than 50 ft add it/keep it.

If its there or being added, always name it?
todd_g
Send a message
Todd G

Virginia Beach, VA (like where else would it be?)