Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Street or Alley

Post by RoyaltyWoody
https://www.waze.com/editor/#?zoom=7&la ... s=67129967

With some of the newer housing developments, homes have a street address but parking/driveways/garages are accessed from a back alley. In the case permalinked above, the back alley is accessed from a completely different street than the home's street address. (Zoom out a level to even see how to get between the two!) This discrepancy has caused a UR because the identified location of the address (according to Bing) is closer to the garage/driveway, but it appears the Wazer was a guest trying to get to the home and was looking for the street/front-door address.

So my question is, what is the Best Practice for positioning the address? Should we favor the home-owner(s), and leave the address as Bing has it: for getting home and parking in the garage? Or should we favor the home-owner's guests: get them to the front door? Or is there no Best Practice for this kind of situation?
RoyaltyWoody
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:12816050

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
We will have the ability to set the stop point to the most appropriate location, including on pvt drives, alleys or other unnamed street in the future. For now, position the address on the house as the wiki specifies and the stop point in the best possible location we can manage at this time given the editor limitations.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Y'all need to fix your permalinks. Extra garbage in there.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
The permalink is working for me, so I'm unable to see what changes you are proposing.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Hmm, when I zoomed in, I ended up here: https://www.waze.com/editor/#?%23%3F=&z ... TTTTTTTTFT

I'm still not understanding what the change being proposed is. Changing the position of the house marker in the house numbers currently has no effect how waze routes. You would need to change the coordinates that Bing provides to waze.

Furthermore, the way the house numbering in WME is currently set up you can only associate the number with the street having the name of the address - there is no current method to associate the address with the alley. I'd favor the guests, but it doesn't seem that we have the tools yet to determine whether waze will route to the street at the front door or the alley in back.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Yup, that extra stuff is just what the editor gave when I zoomed in. Now its zooming to the correct location and no extra garbage is showing for me. Don't know what has changed.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by iainhouse
Just an additional thought on the homeowner/guest question.

The homeowner will likely have this set as their "Home" location in the app. If the stop point is set to the "front door", that will work for everyone else. If I was the homeowner, I would find it quite reasonable that Waze routes to my front door. If I had a separate parking location "round the back", I would have the option of setting that manually as my "Home" location. After that, I'd never be navigating home by using a search - I'd just be using my "Home" location.
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by kesterj
^^^ very good point...

in short plot for your "guest"
kesterj
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
I got used to that sort of setup in Queens NY. IMHO house numbers are for people who don't know the home and are trying to find it: deliveries and guests. I would stick the stop points out front, and map the alleys as private roads.
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.