Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by orbitc
Isn't that counteractive of what Waze does? Think about it. Waze will route you around the traffic, hazards, road closures and other hazards. Unless, of course you have a short route that you take everyday.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by pegruder
Not to bring this back from the dead - but +1 for this feature. For instance, there are programs (Tyre) that allow you to build custom routes (IE: A Sight seeing route). I would love to be able to import this route, and drive the route with all the waze features. Waze would literally have to do no thinking on the navigation end of it, and just report road hazards. Theres been numerous times where I've reported a dangerous situation (IE: Car stopped on dark road with no hazards around a blind turn) where I've been thanked because it gave the person a heads up. For instance, Tomtoms allow importing of pre built routes. It would be excellent to have this feature in waze!
pegruder
Send a message

Post by pegruder
Thats why I used the scenic route example. For when you wanna go sight seeing on a pre-built route, but have all the features of waze available IE: Road Hazards, weather ect.
pegruder
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Custom routes would be nice, but for a system whose basic mathematical routing is still largely a work in progress because of limited map resources that still need a lot of input, the custom route support just seems a bit out of scope for now.

If you really think a certain way is better than what Waze suggests, go that way anyway with Waze turned on. This will enable you to edit the map along that route. Make sure the road segements along the route in question are of the correct type according to the guidelines in the wikis. This has an impact when the distance between your origin and destination is more than a couple miles and the impact gets bigger as the distance gets larger when certain smaller road types start to get ignored. Also, check that all the turns you made are allowed. Remember that by default, Waze assumes that any possible turn is not allowed until it actually sees a track that makes that turn. Waze might discard an entire route or large section of route from consideration if it thinks a certain key turn cannot be made.

Turns out, in my experience, I've found that most routes (after being fixed up in the map editor) I thought were faster than what Waze came up with were actually not faster, Or the actual difference in time was so trivial that the routing server could tip a tie-breaker either way based on reports of even the slightest traffic conditions.

A computer doesn't necessarily do what you want it to do; rather it does what you tell it to do.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by R4CLucky14
Suik wrote:
gettingthere wrote: ... and all is working as designed ...
... I wish it would :)
I finally got it to work once I got into a jam on an Interstate :/

So it did eventually work, after letting my sit in the left lane for more time than wanted. Then I had .6 miles to exit right, as it recalculated. Estupido Waze.

Seriously though, my area maps have been improving, but are not perfect. For the first time, I finally got alternate routes!
R4CLucky14
Send a message
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.

Post by Suik
gettingthere wrote: ... and all is working as designed ...
... I wish it would :)
Suik
Send a message
The one that returned
almosthttps://s.waze.tools/s0025.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c3.png
Renault Fluence 2011, 1.6 16V, Samsung GS7 stock Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.18.0.1
FB pg: Waze Slovensko / Twitter: @waze_slovensko / G+: Waze Slovensko

Post by WeeeZer14
Have you used the map editor to check your preferred route?
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
ctrobins wrote:I want a Custom Route so I can go on a specific ride on specific roads on my motorcycle. I don't want the 'fastest' or least traffic, I want the most scenic(on some roads).. and maybe 'least known roads'... or maybe some other parameter for road selection that is of my personal preference that the time I'm planning my route.

Is there a way to do this in Waze? For example... create a route in Google Maps and Import / convert it to Waze format?

Is this what 'Waze is all about'? If not, that's ok... I'll just search for some other method to achieve what i'm looking for! :) Thanks! - Craig
The primary purpose of Waze is to get you from home to work and back again each day in the shortest period of time. So taking the scenic route or pre-planning routes are outside of those goals.

P.S. - You can may be able to get a little bit of what you want for a scenic route by setting Waze to avoid Freeways.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
chris-his wrote:I understand WAZE is primarily about being able to get to work and back the fastest, but if I for ex. want to go through a forest, I still want to get to where I want to go, in the shortest amount of time. I do NOT want to be stuck in traffic on some local road when I go sightseeing, so basically I still need the things WAZE stands for, and I'd hate to have to switch to an alternative program for these things because I like WAZE a lot more.
A compromise is to set your destination (or at least a way point) as the forest you want to go through. But it is possible that Waze won't keep you on the road you want to be on the whole time, so you must have an idea in your mind of where you want to go. I think the same would hold true for most navigation apps.
WeeeZer14
Send a message