Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by AndyPoms
sketch wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:State routes
Not all states have converted. Many are waiting for an official solution (i.e. State Abbreviations).
OK. I'll make a note here, then, that we can't overlook this bit of the Wiki once we pass what's being discussed right now -- like we did when the US route standard was implemented (a year and a half ago, but only properly last month).
That's why we currently have this list: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Conn ... g_by_state. We do need to push Waze on what was discussed at the meetup about State Routes, BUT only after US-## is all working properly - there are still places missing shields (CT & CA were missing the last I heard).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
sketch wrote:If it goes on the sign, it goes on the segment.
Exactly. What ever the sign says, is what Waze should say.
sketch wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
skbun wrote:I would though want to put one advisory, exception, etc. to what I just said though, which is that a BGS's content is the stuff in the biggest letters. There are sometimes OTHER things listed on such signs but should NOT be included. Examples I've seen: 'Hospital', 'Toll bridge', 'Scenic road', and so on. In almost all cases, these additions are not in white-on-green letters. That said, they're just extras that make TTS chattier than it needs to be.
This makes sense to me... However there are places where the only sign isn't the green one... For example in CT Exit 62 on I-95 only has brown signs - https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hammonas ... 2,,0,-3.19
Yeah, it's an exception, though. Put all the primary info that's on the exit sign on the segment. Additional brown signs are typically to be disregarded, as are additional green signs, unless they're particularly relevant.
I was just saying that we need to be clear about it...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by Bigbear3764
kent, can we get Illinois State Hwy XXX changed to State Rte XXX. A few of us talked, just never updated our Wiki page. This was our thread on it: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=39248
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'd first be interested in knowing what new was learned at the US meetup.

The hidden property should really be explained before we go changing the standards.
skbun wrote:That said...we can name roads whatever we like because it has nothing to do with shields, and changing a street or altstreet name will not change a segment's ID or other properties on that segment.
This is not true. For example, if you take a road that has a shield and edit the name (say give it an all text primary name), the shield will disappear. So I'm not sure what you are saying here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I don't know about county roads in North Carolina, but up north here if you say NC-12 many people are going to think: http://www.zazzle.com/nc_12_stickers-217806308537346977
You see many OBX stickers on cars here and you also see a few North Carolina 12 stickers on cars too. There are enough people that vacation or own vacation houses on the Outer Banks that the 12 in the diamond refers to a North Carolina road around here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:
orbitc wrote:So, what is that mean for those states there are not using the US-XX model?
We've been told to hold on on changing anything and wait to hear Waze.
Staff and champs alike came to a consensus. In other words, it's not up to the states and never should have been. Maybe the Wiki wasn't clear enough about this, but that's how it is.
Yes, but it is now proven that decision was based on a lie. The premise was US-xxx would be used to generate the US shield. Why should we break the shields that are working. There is no good reason to change freeways from US Hwy XX to US-XX.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:It was based on the premise that the shields will work with US-xx in the future, which is still true.
Well you guys at the meetup can figure out that one, but what I was hearing from the reports is that there are now plans that the shield field will be separate from the primary name field. So I had thought things had changed.
sketch wrote:There is a VERY good reason for changing them — it saves valuable space on the display and in TTS with no real loss.
I'm only suggesting not changing theme on freeways where the shields are working as freeway names are not used in the TTS or the display of the turn instructions and freeway names are not used on the map display where the shields are working. The only place the name shows up is in the reports. The only real loss is the shields on the map.
sketch wrote:Changing "I- xx" to "I-xx" broke shields too, but we didn't hesitate so much to do that, because "I- xx" looks like garbage and is a waste of space.
I hesitate to change those for the same reasons, but there are not many interstate shield left working around here. I find the random listing of the cardinal directions to look pretty crappy on the map too and really wish waze could implement working shields.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:But "to LA-1: Thibodaux / Lockport" and "to I-10 W: Baton Rouge" make a lot more sense to me. This would also require changing the first line (before the list), for the sake of clarity: "to [numbered highway designation] [direction]: [street name] / [street name] / [control city] / [control city]". This clarifies what to do when multiple street names and/or control cities are given.
Up until recently, I never put the "/" between the [ST-##] and the [street name] or between the [street name] and the [control city]. I just didn't see the need for a visual break or an audio pause there to make the instructions clear to me. My logic was that was what the wiki examples seemed to suggest and there is no reason to add extra length or TTS time to the names. However, some users have said that they were confused without the pause and others said they interpreted the wiki to include those slashes, so I've been including them in my current edits.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Daknife
I know this thought is a bit late to the discussion (and not really relevant to the Wiki discussion unless it were actually implemented) but as to shield generation, with so many roads with shields having well known local names would it not make more sense to pull shields from alternate names. You have the local name given in the TTS and on the map but the system can then pull the shield(s) from the alternate names and toss those in occasionally. Shields take less room than many names and don't need to be shown as often and using this option could let the client even show double shields or swap back and forth for roads that carry multiple shield designations. For interstates that occasionally double up the primary name will generate the shield, but the client will be able to toss in the occasional alternate or double shield as stored in the alternate fields.

For example in Northern Utah I-15 is for a while double shielded with I-84, it is primarily I-15 but every few miles the app could throw in a double shield or just a periodic alternate of the I-84 option. Or US 89 commonly called State Street or Main street as it runs though many of the towns in Utah. Out in the countryside it is marked as US 89 (or will be when we get serious about getting rid of all the US Hwy 89 segments) and shows such shields but in town it almost always becomes State Street or occasionally Main, and for a roughly 5 mile stretch it is I-15, When it has a name it should show the name as primary designation and toss in the occasional shield from the alternate field, Not have the hwy number in primary at all times or have the Name as primary and lose all reference in the client to the actual hwy designation.

Just my thoughts on this topic, since I see it continually being referred to as working just the opposite from how my brain logic says that it should work.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Fredo-p
KB_Steveo wrote:I know this thread is kind of old now, but... I've noticed a number of times you guys mention trying to lessen space used, and trying for brevity when possible and making TTS less wordy, etc. That being said, can we change the wiki so that "Exit to Kindergarten Ct" will not do?

Sorry, I don't have any ramps in my area named that way, so I'm not sure if the "new & improved voice guidance" has changed it, but it drives me nuts when I hear "Exit to Exit to Kindergarten Court" or "Exit right to Exit to Kindergarten Court" instead of just "Exit right to Kindergarten Ct"

(Maybe just keep it for LH exits so you get "Keep left to exit to Kindergarten Ct" if the consensus says to keep it at all?)
This thread is over a year old so I will start a new one to focus on the current app ver.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+