Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

North at top

Post by stephenjoy
Is there away to always have north at the top of the screen?
stephenjoy

POSTER_ID:3060954

Send a message

Post by walkinreader
It drives me up that after I tell waze north should be up, it often decides to unset that setting.

It's so damn frustrating.
walkinreader
Send a message

Post by stephenjoy
Thanks for the pointer; I use either an iPhone or iPad.

And I agree with GimzoGuy411 that real locking would be great; perhaps just a third tap in the cycle,

course up,north up(for now), north up(locked), course up, etc.
stephenjoy
Send a message

Post by sporty944
Suggestions.
1. PLEASE make an optional feature to lock "north at top" as this is the way many "professional" navigaitors work. It gives us much more positional and directional relevance.
2. ALSO add a "North arrow" permanent display option for whichever way the map is used. Maybe as a "watermark"?
3. CONSIDER hazzard icons for such elements as FOG (add visibility distance e.g. FOG20m) and ICE which could save many lives.
4. A page of Icon Interpretation and how to utilse them would help us "old age newbies" get (and give) better information. Many of us "old" navigators are keen but are slightly "technologically challenged" and like to have documents to study and reffer to. For instance, try as I may, I am not sure if I have been able to show and share the new roads I have traversed, correct inaccuracies, name new roads. The info published on my I-pad SEEMS logical, but I do not want to have to ask my IT Manager (or adult son) to help this old "Sporty944" boy out.
Please Mr Moderator, would you be kind enough to distribute my comments into any other relvant forums if necessary?
BRILLIANT CONCEPT. HOW MANY PEOPLE THOUGHT OF IT BUT NEVER DID IT?
sporty944
Send a message

Post by sn000ker
aigarslv wrote: This bug is noted in bug-list and we are hoping that it will be fixed in near future!
Imagine someone spinning a Map randomly in front of you with the words "Now, go ahead and orientate yourself!!"

The missing lock on "North on top" is a knock out criteria for me, sorry.
I'm almost about to get rid of the app because of it.

Please write a short note, as soon as it got fixed, thx!

Snooker, Germany
sn000ker
Send a message

Post by SirQuijote
Completelly agree; i'm also a "north up" person with paper maps, and it's irritating to have Waze switch back from it on it's own. North up is especially useful when navigating short streets with many turns involved.
Also, same goes for zoom level. Stop changing my zoom level whenever you receive an event!!
SirQuijote
Send a message

Post by siilhhhi
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If you turn off the "map controls on tap" setting then the compass arrow will always show. This should help with orientation when that happens. Not a substitute for a real lock though.
I´m agree, north oriented maps are popular just for the reason that people cant remember more than some roads on appropriate orientation (north up is conventional). So "north up" maps are in usually in quite large scale and for everyday drivers maps with "north up" does not matter anything. If they are lost, there is no reason them to know were is north ... important is only right direction on screen. :roll:

But if you are "Crocodile" Dundee who always knows were the north is, then you do not need Waze anyway :lol:
siilhhhi
Send a message

Post by sblackketter
I'd also like to be counted as a user who would greatly value a lock on North Up! Its annoying to have to keep switching it back on. Thanks!
sblackketter
Send a message

Post by robsilve
Please add the ability to LOCK north up. The lack of ability to lock this in is extremely annoying and seems like it should be a basic preference...
robsilve
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
I live in Oregon... I can't see the sun, so don't know which way is North :)
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png