Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by jeedo
jasonh300 wrote:It usually a little more involved than not replying to a single PM. It problem editors who are doing more harm than good who can't be contacted and continue to cause problems.
In this situation it is. The problem editor is reverting edits back (against guidelines). In addition they are locking the segments at a higher level.

I think the preference is to open up a discussion first to find out why. But if the editor doesn't respond to PMs there's not much else available to make the editor respond.
jeedo
Send a message

Post by jeedo
gettingthere wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:It usually a little more involved than not replying to a single PM. It problem editors who are doing more harm than good who can't be contacted and continue to cause problems.
Editors that are consistently not following guidelines are doing 'bad' mapping is a different thing.

I am referring to something like this - using myself as an example:

* 1 year ago I edited a segment on a major highway which is locked to level 5 per standards
* Now the road needs to change due to construction
* It should not be expected that I should have to respond to a PM to unlock the road
* I should not be threatened to lose my editing rank or editing rights - there are other ways to get this resolved by using the unlock requests forum, etc.
I agree that simply not responding to the forum or a PM should not be reason on its own to restrict or remove editing rights. In your example I'd expect that another CM would see an unlock request and do so if necessary. However what if you then went back in, and needed to revert the change, what have/would you do in that situation?

Sorry should have made it clearer that it's in the case of a last resort and the editor is still actively reverting changes but not engaging with the other editor.
jeedo
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jeedo wrote:Just wondered what the community has had with respect to editors that have gone quiet and aren't responding either to the forums or to PMs.

One route, more short-term would be to ask the waze gods to suspend their account. Sounds pretty harsh but perhaps the only way to really get their attention. Or maybe a softer approach and demote them back to level 3.

The other, which I've seen Malaysia take this approach, is to take over the process of levelling up users to Area Managers (level 3) and also level 4 requests (and of course level 5 country manager). The change here though would be that our CMs would need to be more involved in that process.

What's your experience been like?
Reading the OP does not tell me the extent of the PMs or the issues with the problem editor. Maybe the OP can clarify what exactly is the issue.

I agree not responding to a PM for an unlock request is unimportant because there are other routes to that solution that solve the problem. On the other hand, an editor who is making constant bad edits that do not follow the guidelines and requires other editors to make continuous changes to fix those areas is violating the guidelines in a way that is harming the map and community. Those people need to be somehow controlled in those situations. Maybe have an escalating set of steps like
1. suspend account until responding
2. longer suspension until complying
3. reduced editing level
4. account suspension
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jeedo wrote:
In this situation it is. The problem editor is reverting edits back (against guidelines). In addition they are locking the segments at a higher level.

I think the preference is to open up a discussion first to find out why. But if the editor doesn't respond to PMs there's not much else available to make the editor respond.
If this editor is locking segments above you, then they are either level 4 or 5, correct? I cannot imagine an editor at that level who is not familiar with the forums or their PM account.

If this is true I would propose getting Waze management involved to send an email directly and consider suspending the account until they respond.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by orbitc
jeedo wrote:

I have few editors who didn't respond to my PM's or emails. It wasn't as bad of a situation as yours...but perhaps, they just don't know that there is a forum for Waze?
Although, I cannot understand why an editor wouldn't respond an email!!!
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by xtago
I think a bit more thought needs to be put into this first.

You say the person is reverting the roads back to the original, there could a be a reason for this

the new edits could have caused road/map problems, routing problems, naming problems, turn problems.

If the road was fine then it's edited then you start getting errors on that road then people will see this and fix them up.

I think the locking should be left off though in case the road needs further editing or isn't right and a local person is then able to properly fix the problem so not good there.

In Australia the Wiki info and the road selections in the editor don't match up to all the road types in Australia so need to keep this in mind when changing a road from/to street, primary, minor/major highway in Waze but trying to apply that to a road in real life.

People won't agree on what every road should be classed as or even the area names can be classed as the wrong area as some people go by what people in that area go by which sometimes isn't right.

Example of the name, trying to use a GPS to get to bribie island, won't work with bribie island as this is the moreton bay and islands district as the suburb that covers a very large area and has 6 or so councils with in that area and you also have the islands own councils as well.

yet ask people who live in that area where they live they will say it's bribie island or the local name not moreton bay and island districts like they should be doing.

In Australia states have their own road systems with separate road rules etc, and road types.

QLD has minor and major primary roads and highways some of these road types are numbered like a highway yet aren't highways, these are called metroads and these could be 2 way streets or multi laned/island in middle separate single/multi lane roads, so it hard to always categorise these roads on the Waze editor.

These are all the road types in QLD.
freeway / motorway = major highway
Metroad these have a route number = no road type in Waze
Highway or main traffic route = minor highway but again can be streets or even primary roads
Alt traffic route like above but could be a link road/metroad or simply a street that traffic uses to get around traffic problems
Street

You then have tourist drives = streets etc
Arterials = minor/major highways but can be toll roads etc as well but these could be classed as basic streets at times.

Extra stuff not in Waze
bridge clearance heights
Route numbering/logos
Rail bridge
road/rail Tunnels
Ferry routes

I'm sure this problem is the same across the world but just have to go with the flow for now.

Hope this helps you jeedo as to why people will edit things a certain way or be reverting things, hopefully they are doing the right thing in editing areas but I know that doesn't always happen.
xtago
Send a message