Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by cameraguy
Facebook... No Way!
Google... Yes Way!

I hope Google buys out Waze! Please Google beat Facebook!

I am surprise Facebook wants to buy Waze. That's a big surprise to me!

Since we are on this subject, several weeks ago, I did this poll. Please vote!

http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=262&t=47395

If Google succeed in buying out Waze, I can see it now, Google Maps now powered by Waze! :)
cameraguy
Send a message

Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cocoche95
jmp316 wrote:Unfortunately I would leave as well. As others have mentioned, Faebook would likely advertise heavily on it. Boo.
+1, don't want a Wazebook ...
cocoche95
Send a message

Post by crap-im-lost
I'll be leaving, too. I don't have a facebook account and I don't want a facebook account.
Unfortunately, I'm sure that $1,000,000,000 > people threatening to leave if it happens.
By the time everyone who doesn't want to share with facebook leaves, the folks at waze will have the money and it really won't matter to them.
crap-im-lost
Send a message

Post by crap-im-lost
Yes, I realize it's a rumor.

My main point, which I didn't express very well was:
people threatening to leave if it happens isn't going to change the mind of anyone at waze.
crap-im-lost
Send a message

Post by csb1227
I'll quit using Waze if this happens.
csb1227
Send a message

Post by dcsohl
If nothing changes operationally I'll probably be willing to stick around.

However, I expect FB to require tying your Waze account to your FB account, and I absolutely will not do that. Other changes, like heavier advertising and whatnot, I'll have to judge on a case-by-case basis.
dcsohl
Send a message

Post by deeggo
Let's be honest. This is isn't the first rumor and it won't be the last. But the rumors are getting louder, and that usually means something. I totally can't blame them for cashing in, when the offer is good enough.

Personally I oppose Facebook very strongly, for the following main reasons.
1) privacy
Yes, driving around with Waze on isn't private at all. But Waze you can turn of or - even easier - not turn on. Facebook has a strategy of getting their nifty little fingers behind everything you do in life. They urge other companies to use FB login. Take for instance all those sites where you can vote for anything, whether it'd be best app, human rights and environment issues or politics, many allow FB-login. Or sites where you can win something, often FB-login. Oh so convenient, you have to remember less passwords. Many companies shift their focus from their own website to their page on FB, their promotions or events are often on FB. And then there's the like and share buttons on all those other sites, that track your every move on internet if you just forget to log off your session with FB.

So yes, there is a great privacy difference between FB and Waze. And imagine what happens if they merge and FB not only knows your internet whereabouts, but also your real life whereabouts. Their advertising will get even more invasive, ads from the pizza restaurant you pass often, ads from the gym if you haven't been to the woods for jogging for two weeks, ads for the cookies you like on the screen of the friend you're navigating to.

2) motivation
My motivation to contribute to Waze is based on two pillars: 1) building a local community in my country so we all can save time in traffic and gas, know about danger on the way and prevent getting speeding tickets and 2) helping build up a sympathetic little start up that once had a brilliant idea come to life. Both pillars can be described as doing something good for the world, helping each other out, building a community that benefits all. My motivation is intrinsic.
That second pillar will be totally gone when Facebook takes over. I'm not spending my free time not getting paid to make Mark Suckerberg and a multi-billion company even richer. Working for Waze hasn't always been satisfying, but in the end you always knew they were doing their best with limited resources. That sense of generously helping grow something small and helpless will be gone.

3) future development
What will happen when a big company takes over a small one? History has shown that often the new big owner totally misunderstands the basis of the company it takes over. Often they die a slow and painly death because of that. Many times they are bought to be put to death deliberately before they become a threat.
And if they keep Waze alive, what direction will it go? How will the app change? Will the map editor stay?

In the end I will probably keep using the app on my phone, unless it changes to much in a direction I don't like. I still like driving around traffic after all. But my other activities will probably be reduced to a minimum, maybe except for the local community things.
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by DGlanem
This is a fact:

If waze goes to FACEBOOK ...
... Your AreaManager for Helmstedt county, germany says goodbye !! :evil:

Poor waze .... stairsdown every new month .... :(

Hope to future!!

regards
Dominik
DGlanem
Send a message
Area-Manager: Landkreis Helmstedt (city & county), germany, Niedersachsen (lower saxony)
Wazing with Volkswagen GolfVII and Samsung Galaxy S3

* * * Excuse my terrible english... * * *

Post by dips-y
Google ok..but facebook definitely no-no. I dont want everyone to know where I am where I am driving and what I am doing. If facebook purchase I will be leaving !
dips-y
Send a message